Suggestions for luggage with stock rack.

ZoneIII

Supercharged
Ride
2015 Triumph Rocket III Touring
I bought a new Rocket III touring a couple weeks ago and I'm in the market right now for some kind of box or bag that will attach to the stock rack that the bike came with. I know it's small and it's not rated for much weight (although I've read that the rating is overly conservative) but, for now, I'd like to get a box or, preferably, a bag or semi-hard bag. The reason I'm asking for recommendations is that, while looking at various options, it became overwhelming because there are so many.

For now, I just want something that gives me a little more storage. Later on, I would like to get something larger. When I do that, I would really like it if there is a rack that I can change out to without modification so I can pop the original rack/backrest back on when I don't need the luggage. Is there anything like that available? Unfortunately, in my searches, that information isn't to be found.

Our first trips (with my wife) will probably be trips around, say, Lake Michigan or Lake Superior (I live about 35 miles west of Chicago. Later on, I'll probably add a passenger seat bag when I do longer solo trips. (Back in the 60s, I wandered the country for 18 months, never staying in one place for more than one day with one short exception. I did that, believe it or not, with a Triumph Bonneville and only a sissy bar that I strapped everything to. (See attached picture.)

To summarize: I want a small box or (preferably) a bag that attaches to the existing rack without modification. Later on, I'll want a rack that replaces the existing rack without modification, if possible, that I can attach rack and passenger seat bags too. I'll probably be doing solo trips to see my son in Oregon, etc., with that setup.

Anyway, with those requirements in mind, I'd like to hear what other folks here use, like, and recommend.

(EDIT) I'm adding this as I forgot to mention it when I first posted this. I want a luggage system that can easily and quickly be switched out to put the bike back in original configuration. I don't want a box on the bike unless I'm on a trip. I don't want to do modifications or changes to the rack, etc., that would be a PITA to switch back and forth. Ideally, I would like something that only requires removing the factory backrest to install and can be attached to the factory rack, even better, has a built-in backrest for my wife. I've seen soft and semi-soft bags that might work.

Attachments

• 12-C2.jpg
    12-C2.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I bought a new Rocket III touring a couple weeks ago and I'm in the market right now for some kind of box or bag that will attach to the stock rack that the bike came with. I know it's small and it's not rated for much weight (although I've read that the rating is overly conservative) but, for now, I'd like to get a box or, preferably, a bag or semi-hard bag. The reason I'm asking for recommendations is that, while looking at various options, it became overwhelming because there are so many.

For now, I just want something that gives me a little more storage. Later on, I would like to get something larger. When I do that, I would really like it if there is a rack that I can change out to without modification so I can pop the original rack/backrest back on when I don't need the luggage. Is there anything like that available? Unfortunately, in my searches, that information isn't to be found.

Our first trips (with my wife) will probably be trips around, say, Lake Michigan or Lake Superior (I live about 35 miles west of Chicago. Later on, I'll probably add a passenger seat bag when I do longer solo trips. (Back in the 60s, I wandered the country for 18 months, never staying in one place for more than one day with one short exception. I did that, believe it or not, with a Triumph Bonneville and only a sissy bar that I strapped everything to. (See attached picture.)

To summarize: I want a small box or (preferably) a bag that attaches to the existing rack without modification. Later on, I'll want a rack that replaces the existing rack without modification, if possible, that I can attach rack and passenger seat bags too. I'll probably be doing solo trips to see my son in Oregon, etc., with that setup.

Anyway, with those requirements in mind, I'd like to hear what other folks here use, like, and recommend.

You can get a mounting made for a large hard top box. I use a Kuryakyn Gran Tour bag:

GranTour Bag | Seat, Trunk & Rack Bags | Luggage, Organizers and Storage Covers | Küryakyn

I installed the Givi E55 box purchased from Revzilla. Along with the box, I purchased a color matching cover, chinzy backrest, and top rack. I avoided the Givi supplemental lights, and opted instead for the Admore kit, also available from Revzilla. The box adapts nicely to the R3T rack, and I have yet to figure out how to attach the lights (left turn, right turn, tail, brake, and ground).

For me, a top box is near essential, and I have installed one on almost every bike I've owned (I don't do sport bikes).

Thanks for the responses. That gives me a good starting point.

I didn't notice this until I just went out to my garage but I see that the backrest can be removed without removing the rack. I had mistakenly assumed that it was one piece. That eliminates the problem caused by the angle of the backrest. One other thing: I've read that the rack has a weight limit of something like 15 pounds but, if so, that's nutty, IMO. The rack and it's attachment are robust and can clearly carry more than 15 pounds. I think I read in these forums where a guy that is 270 pounds stood on his rack with no problems at all. I sometimes wonder how these numbers are determined.

Thanks again for the responses. I'm going to check out the things recommended right now.

EDIT: Based on a response to this that said the backrest can't be removed without having the rack wobble around, I went back out and took the backrest and rack off to check things out. I see no reason why nuts can't be used to bolt the rack on in place of the threaded backrest posts.

Last edited:
I should have mentioned that I want a system that I can easily remove and put that bike back in it's factory configuration. I would only be using the luggage on trips. Around town I don't want a top case on the bike. I want something I can easily and quickly switch over.

The weight limit is partly about keeping added weight behind the rear axle to a minimum. Not sure how many Tourings get the front wheel up but on my Standard the front would coming up oh so easily when I had weight on the back. It's also partly about manufacturers protecting their arses. It has very little to do with carrying capacity.

Could you let me know what mounting you are referring to? A link would be greatly appreciated.
Just something like the Givi, as Joesmoe has. This just requires a flat surface to mount to but there has to be enough surface area to handle the weight.

There's a 2005 R3 at my dealer with a custom mounting for a Givi.

It's weird that Triumph makes a touring with hard bags but no top case accessory.

The weight limit is partly about keeping added weight behind the rear axle to a minimum. Not sure how many Tourings get the front wheel up but on my Standard the front would coming up oh so easily when I had weight on the back. It's also partly about manufacturers protecting their arses. It has very little to do with carrying capacity.

That makes sense. I'm not too worried about doing wheelies. :) If that is the logic behind that limit, it would imply that they Triumph doesn't want that weight back there even if you change the rack so you couldn't put anything more than that limit back there if you believed that. I don't buy that for one second. And I suspect the litigation motive too. Thanks!

Back