Suddenly dead

TRath

Supercharged
Ride
'09 RIII Classic Custom, '82 GL500 Café, '82 CBX
Please help the non-technical-minded numpty.

I rode to work and back today, then to a meeting and home this evening without any incidents. When I shut it off after getting home, I accidentally turned the key the extra click to the parking lights, but noticed that they didn't come on. Flipped the key back on and... nothing. No injector priming, dial sweep or lights, or headlights/taillight. Brake light and turn signals work but that's it.

Fuses look good. Checked kill switch. Kickstand up and down with no change.

That pretty much expends my troubleshooting abilities. Anyone come across this that may be able to advise?

2009 Classic with just shy of 50k km (going to roll over 50k this tank :mad:)

On the plus side, it was considerate enough to die at home instead of at any of the other 10 or so stops I made along the way.

Last edited:
Something similar happened to me, sans turning the key to the parking light position. Pulled up to the gas pump everything was fine. Filled up and it wouldn't start. Turned out to be the fuel pump relay - verified by swapping it with the ECM relay to test.

Please help the non-technical-minded numpty.

I rode to work and back today, then to a meeting and home this evening without any incidents. When I shut it off after getting home, I accidentally turned the key the extra click to the parking lights, but noticed that they didn't come on. Flipped the key back on and... nothing. No injector priming, dial sweep or lights, or headlights/taillight. Brake light and turn signals work but that's it.

Fuses look good. Checked kill switch. Kickstand up and down with no change.

That pretty much expends my troubleshooting abilities. Anyone come across this that may be able to advise?

2009 Classic with just shy of 50k km.
Do you have an Eastern Beaver H/light kit in? - If not almost certainly the ignition switch. One Click too far. Calling @idk and @DEcosse

Do you have an Eastern Beaver H/light kit in? - If not almost certainly the ignition switch. One Click too far. Calling @idk and @DEcosse

No EB kit here. Does the ignition switch go that suddenly when it goes?
My understanding was that when it goes, you don't have any horn or lights, just a completely dead bike. I have horn and brake / turn lights.

Last edited:
check Fuse #2
If that fuse is definitely good then it pretty much has to be key-switch - at key-switch and beyond, the ignition and headlights are separate circuits, so only common factors to both are that Fuse and the switch itself.
Since you have turns and brake lights that validates that Main Fuse (11) must be good and those two circuits are on a separate key-switch pole to the lights/ignition

Fuse 2 (ignition key - 30) looks to be good. Am I right to suspect this means I have some waiting far too long for stupidly expensive parts in my future?

Also - the parking light not working fed by that position of key ALSO has to be the same limited possibilities i.e. Fuse 2 or the key-switch (white wire detached from the switch-contact-plate)

Also - the parking light not working fed by that position of key ALSO has to be the same limited possibilities i.e. Fuse 2 or the key-switch (white wire detached from the switch-contact-plate)
Ken @DEcosse , can you run your keyless without fixing the ignition switch? I had someone call me stuck on the road. Showed him how to hot wire it so he could get home. Was hoping to give hime more then just the ignition switch change. It is a 06 old wire connectors so no updated harness. No Head light relay by anyone.

Fuse 2 (ignition key - 30) looks to be good. Am I right to suspect this means I have some waiting far too long for stupidly expensive parts in my future?

You could pull the switch and repair it. Has been done many times especially if a wire just needs to be re soldered to it. The tricky part is getting the switch out.

Back