Subaru help wanted

BigNorm

Boobie Inspector
Ride
2014 Rocket 3 Touring
I know this is a bike forum but I know some of you go fast guys play with your cars too. I have a 2001 Subaru Forester with a 2.5L NA motor. I plan on modifying the air box by cutting the dirty side off. I thought about fabricating a cold air intake but thought making the motor suck through a long pipe would reduce the affectiveness. I'm also considering cutting out the cats and rewelding the housings once they are out. The lack of tuning devices out there is frustrating. It would be cool if there was something like a dobek system out there where I could adjust the fuel on the fly. The car runs great as is. My goal is not to make it noisier but to have it flow as efficiently as possible. Any help would be appreciated. Love and hugs to you.

I haven't tuned Subie's in a while, but you don't need to worry about the length of pipe as long as it is straight and minimize bends. I typically run the cold air intake by one of the wheel wells straight into an intercooler. You could go with an oversize intercooler that sits in front of the radiator. I have seen a couple of custom mods that do that, but then you are affecting the front mounts for the radiator and grill. Don't know how much customization work you are looking to do. Fortunately, most of the Forester, Outback, and WRX parts are interchangeable, just have to play with engine compartment fitment issues.

jmo
i think it is a mistake to let it draw hot air from the engine compartment it needs the cold air.

U MIGHT TRY TO FIND A BYPASS PIPE (for checking purposes only;))

I have a non turbo car. Do you know how to get by the hiccups of opening up the cats? There doesn't appear to be a lot of tuners available.

I have a non turbo car. Do you know how to get by the hiccups of opening up the cats? There doesn't appear to be a lot of tuners available.

If you are referring to throwing a code when you remove them basically that 2nd o2 sensor just needs to see cleaner air than the first one. Alot of the times you can put a gapper in the hole lifting that sensor up out of the airflow a bit more and it solves that.

i was assuming that a 2001 did not have a downstream o2 (a sensor after the cat) sensor unless it is a California vehicle. if it does i would advise that u leave it alone.
however what atlsrt44 said might work.

Just bought my wife a 2019 Crosstrek, so far so good, following for learning porpuses:D

Back