2012cliff

Supercharged
Ride
2008 tour
I want to encourage all to stop and get stuff off the highways. Be safe about it, but it could be you next time when you have something in your path and nowhere to go but to hang on and pray.
I stopped the other day to pull a door off the opposite side of the road. As I was approaching I saw cars veering into my lane.
I'm sure we all have stories of stuff on the road.

Not to be a hard a$$ but it's better... safer to keep moving. I don't want to be known to have died moving debris out of the road. Listening to my police scanner people call in to tell the dispatcher there is debris in the road. The dispatcher then calls road cleanup crew to go out. They have all the flashing lights, reflective vests, to safely move debris out of road.

Years ago I was working on a construction crew and we was doing some work on a building off of a interstate frontage road. A pickup truck was going down the interstate and a long extension ladder came loose off his truck. It skidded down the road and came to a stop in the middle of one of the lanes. Soon after that a tractor trailer came along and ran it over going roughly 65 MPH! The aluminum ladder exploded in a million pieces. I would have hated to be near that explosion trying to retrieve the ladder out of the road.

If it's my luck that I have to negotiate a ladder in the road I just hope for the best.:banghead:

Last edited:
I dont live near busy interstate highways. I wouldnt suggest putting yourself in harms way. I was just suggesting if its possible and safe take the few extra minutes out of your day to make our roads a little safer.

A couple of years ago was riding home from work. Noticed a couple of boxes in the road (Household items) Slowed down a bit and caught something in the headlights. Turned out to be a sofa. Right smack in the middle of the road. If I had not slowed down because of the boxes I would have more than likely nailed the sofa. Did stop and pulled it off the highway. I still wonder to this day what the poor guy thought when he finally stopped and found his belongings gone.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

My uncle told me about driving on a fairly empty stretch of road, where there was one house with not much else around. There was a washing machine box in his lane right in front of the house. His first thought was that it wouldn't hurt the old truck. At the last moment he decided since there was no other traffic in sight, he'd go around. As he passed, he glanced and saw a small boy playing in the box. He stopped, and walked him to the house. Needless to say that mom was very upset, but happy at the same time.

Last edited:
Mt uncle told me about driving on a fairly empty stretch of road, where there was one house with not much else around. There was a washing machine box in his lane right in front of the house. His first thought was that it wouldn't hurt the old truck. At the last moment he decided since there was no other traffic in sight, he'd go around. As he passed, he glanced and saw a small boy playing in the box. He stopped, and walked him to the house. Needless to say that mom was very upset, but happy at the same time.
:eek::eek::eek:

Back in the 70's a bloke I knew hit a roo on his bike, killed the roo crashed the bike but was only gravelrashed a bit went back to drag the roo off the road, was hit by a car and spent the rest of his life in a wheel chair. Be carefull out there.

Ladders and esky lids are a constant annoyance on the M1 here, I will always stop to help small hairy or feathered creatures off the road if they arnt already squished that is.

We had a spate of incidents around here a few years ago where a couple of Klms from the Local MacDonalds some A holes were putting a couple of bricks in a Macca's bag and placing it in one of the lanes of the freeway ,we have all probably seen these discarded bags near the food outlets and think bloody litterbugs but just straddle the bag or if unavoidable run over it ,in a 4WD or a truck bad enough , but in something small or with little ground clearance or even worse a motorcycle travelling close behind a car with forward vision obscured it can be extremely dangerous be careful of anything laying on the road

Mt uncle told me about driving on a fairly empty stretch of road, where there was one house with not much else around. There was a washing machine box in his lane right in front of the house. His first thought was that it wouldn't hurt the old truck. At the last moment he decided since there was no other traffic in sight, he'd go around. As he passed, he glanced and saw a small boy playing in the box. He stopped, and walked him to the house. Needless to say that mom was very upset, but happy at the same time.
Wow ! There's that developed sixth sense again , ignore it at one's peril !

Back