Strange tyre wear

Mike Rocket

Rocket 3
Ride
2014 Rocket 3 Roadster
I have just noticed my front tire has worn very unevenly. Its a Metzeler me880 Marathon. Some parts have worn almost to the wear indicator and other parts of it are fine.
With this wear it makes the tire look worn in a wavy pattern. The bike has been handling like a brick and now i know why. Has anybody had this sort of wear?
I am now thinking of putting Avon Chrome tires on it. Is this a good idea?
Any comments are welcome please.
Thanks.

Scalloping...that’s the non technical term. I believe it is caused by uneven contact with the road. On a motorcycle it doesn’t necessarily mean worn suspension components (shocks, springs) but rather incorrect setup based on weight and riding style. Road camber could also contribute.

I have found that some tire brands are more prone to scalloping than others. My original Metzelers on my Rocket and America both did this early on in their life. Replacement Bridgestones didn't scallop and wore evenly outlasting the Metzelers by a lot. Why????

Haven't gone back to Metzelers though.

Scalloping...that’s the non technical term. I believe it is caused by uneven contact with the road. On a motorcycle it doesn’t necessarily mean worn suspension components (shocks, springs) but rather incorrect setup based on weight and riding style. Road camber could also contribute.
Thank you. I didn't know that

The problem your having with the front tire seems to be fairly common with the Metz tires. I had it happen with my 08 and the tires that came on it. Low miles, less than 5,000 miles. The front became hard to control. A article I read at the time made sense. The Metz tires are made of a fairly hard rubber. The wear is not consistent because we ride much different due to conditions. Most newe tires are built with a hard center band. The sides are much more pliant. Having different rubber compounds allows for mileage increases more than 3 times from the Metz brand. My experience shows Michelin, Avon and Dunlop all make new generation tires. I’m running Elite 3s on my R3T, 2015. When I make a sweeping turn I can hear the tires change to a softer material. The tires grip much better in the twistes too.

The problem your having with the front tire seems to be fairly common with the Metz tires. I had it happen with my 08 and the tires that came on it. Low miles, less than 5,000 miles. The front became hard to control. A article I read at the time made sense. The Metz tires are made of a fairly hard rubber. The wear is not consistent because we ride much different due to conditions. Most newe tires are built with a hard center band. The sides are much more pliant. Having different rubber compounds allows for mileage increases more than 3 times from the Metz brand. My experience shows Michelin, Avon and Dunlop all make new generation tires. I’m running Elite 3s on my R3T, 2015. When I make a sweeping turn I can hear the tires change to a softer material. The tires grip much better in the twistes too.
Thanks for the information.
My bikes handling is quite scary on cornering but because the tire wear is slow the handling takes a a while to be noticed. I must have got used to it.
I was stunned when I saw how the tire has worn.
I need to change it asap.
I now intend to put Avon Chrome tires on the bike, the same tires they fit to the new Rocket.
They must be better or they wouldn't have changed to them.
I am not bothered about mileage as long as the tire is good and sticky.
Thanks again for the information.

Road conditions here in England are pretty dire.
The authorities don't repair our roads properly (only patch and run) and there is grit, gravel and salt everywhere.
Potholes are everywhere, and deep potholes too. If you hit one you are on the ground.
It's no wonder the tyres wear unevenly.
Thanks for your reply.

Back