Strange rear brake

motolink

Nitrous
Ride
2011 Roadster and 2001 Bonneville
I have noticed for a while the rear brake pedal is nice a firm with short travel when the bike is cold but after riding for a while the pedal travel is much longer and the rear brake does not feel as effective.
It’s not from using the brakes but a spongy feel. I thought this may be a feature of the ABS.
Any comments.

Could be the brakes are dragging to much and boiling the brake fluid.
Might need to remove and inspect build up around pistons. May not be returning all the way?? Change and bleed brake fluid. Should be done every two years.
Just my thoughts.

My mate has a 2016 Roadster and he commented the same. I guess I should try bleeding the system to replace the fluid. Bleeding the ABS system will be new experience for me.

My 2011 does not have this problem, bleed system, check pad thickness/replace, not saying you do but make sure you do not ride with your foot on the rear brake pedal -some people do.

My 2011R had the caliper pin sticking and the caliper was twisting when applying the brakes, I managed to free it up without taking the wheel off by taking the bottom boot off and unscrewing the bottom pin. Then lifting the boot lip on the top slider pin and spraying in RP7 and working the caliper in and out until it freed up. To check if the caliper is free and floating on the pins, pull the pads and see if you can move the caliper on the pins by hand, if you can't then you have a sticky pin (top pin is the problem.

I have seen where a warp in the rotor will give good pedal feel with the bike stopped (after the first application takes up any slack). When the bike is moving, the warp pushes the pads away from the rotor more than usual requiring greater pedal travel before pads make contact. You might feel a slight pulsation once applied.

Can you bleed the ABS system with Tune ECU now? I heard it works so long as you are using an Android???

Today I bleed the rear brake, I could see air bubbles come out in first few bleeds so bleed the system a few times, washed the rear calliper down and went for ride, nice high and hard pedal. When I got back from the ride I could see some wetness around the rear bleeder. I suspect the bleeder is not sealing in the calliper so it’s replace the bleeder time.

Where can I get a good quality replacement bleeders.

Back