Strange noise with revs

Reaper948

.040 Over
Hi guys, I just joined the forum -- Ran into an issue today after running around 3 hours between 80-90 degrees F. Cruised mostly, 100mph the fastest -- just letting you guys know what I was doing.

Anyhow I start it up to go home and I just start hearing this sound that matches the revs of the engine -- can't hear it as much as you pass 3.5K, but low revs and idle, you can hear this sound go....

"tsss tsss tsss tsss tssss tsss..."

The bike had an oil change at around 1000K, and 2000K mi from the previous owner, It's at 3,6xx now, I've put around 300 miles on it since last week.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I'm going to book an appointment for a service at the dealer, just to have a change and everything checked out.

Is it a ticking noise?

Does it sound like a spray paint can when you shake it?

If it's a ticking noise, my '08 R3T did it. It was nothing wrong with the bike; nothing that would harm the bike. Triumph referred to it as bucket stacking. It was going to be corrected at the 10K service, but I ended up selling the bike. Again, it wasn't something that was going to harm the bike at all.

If your bike is making the dreaded paint can noise, then you have a problem with the cam chain tensioners (I think that's it). Anyway, Triumph is aware of it and there is an "upgrade" kit that they will put in free of charge. I'd be surprised if you have that issue, however, as I thought the bikes newer than 06 were corrected at the factory.

Is it a ticking noise?

Does it sound like a spray paint can when you shake it?

If it's a ticking noise, my '08 R3T did it. It was nothing wrong with the bike; nothing that would harm the bike. Triumph referred to it as bucket stacking. It was going to be corrected at the 10K service, but I ended up selling the bike. Again, it wasn't something that was going to harm the bike at all.

If your bike is making the dreaded paint can noise, then you have a problem with the cam chain tensioners (I think that's it). Anyway, Triumph is aware of it and there is an "upgrade" kit that they will put in free of charge. I'd be surprised if you have that issue, however, as I thought the bikes newer than 06 were corrected at the factory.

I just started it up -- doesnt sound like a spray paint can at all. Upon close listening, it sounds like air just shooting out of somewhere, It's not a quiet tick, its a louder TSSSTSSSTSSS that goes right with the revs.

If you take it to the dealer, maybe he can check the hoses underneath the tank, I had a crimped one at one point (my fault) and it was causing the bike to run really bad for a day till I had my dealer fix it.

As for the oil change...I wouldn't bother if it has been changed twice already and it is only at around 3,6xx miles that is one oil change too many at this point in the engine's life. The next oil change is due at around 10K, I would wait till then or if it is sitting for a real long time...maybe a little sooner (that was my case and I had it changed around the 8K mark...but only because it sat idle for long periods of time).

Dennis

03 dtg KAF
07 dtg Dubai
08 dtg Home
29 dtg Ray's

Prop the tank up and take a look, could be a crack in the intake system or parts not attached properly. I had the same sound and it was just that, a cracked plenum.

Soooo brought it to the dealership -- informing me about my vin number they told me I had almost a little under a year left with warranty!! Boy, was I happy -- the bikes 100% stock -- the TSS TSS TSS -- the service guy @ Rockwell Motorcycles Nick said it might have been an exhaust leak, upon further inspection he said it was probably something in the intake system that was loose, not a big deal.

Should probably take a couple hours to fix -- so that's a thing off my mind now...:D

thanks for everyones input!

Back