strange gearbox occurance

albertaduke

former airline pilot without the big bucks
Ride
2021 rocket3 GT
just returned from a wonderful trip , western canada to prince edward island( canadian east coast and return through the US " about 6000miles roughly .

halfway westbound the bike developed a snapping/missing type of occurance I could not hear but I could feel it very strongly in the footpegs . it occurred only in 4th and 5th and only when engine was loaded starting at 2100rpm example going uphill in 5th or 4th, if I rolled the throttle up past 2100rpm this snapping would occur if I dropped the RPM down to 2000 it would stop , anyway as soon as the engine would be loading again it would start snapping at irregular intervals but more frequently I could only do two things either drop in 3thany RPM's or keep the revs at or below 2000 while climbing or loading the motor.
on the flat I could maintain 2400rpm without problems but adding a climb that would load the engine and the snapping would start again I believe this must come from the gearbox the pegs are getting that occurance quite clearly. but what is it ? I removed the oil filter ( i have a reusable kind ) and looked inside there is no metal at all
before I take the pan out does somebody has any ideas!!

just returned from a wonderful trip , western canada to prince edward island( canadian east coast and return through the US " about 6000miles roughly .

halfway westbound the bike developed a snapping/missing type of occurance I could not hear but I could feel it very strongly in the footpegs . it occurred only in 4th and 5th and only when engine was loaded starting at 2100rpm example going uphill in 5th or 4th, if I rolled the throttle up past 2100rpm this snapping would occur if I dropped the RPM down to 2000 it would stop , anyway as soon as the engine would be loading again it would start snapping at irregular intervals but more frequently I could only do two things either drop in 3thany RPM's or keep the revs at or below 2000 while climbing or loading the motor.
on the flat I could maintain 2400rpm without problems but adding a climb that would load the engine and the snapping would start again I believe this must come from the gearbox the pegs are getting that occurance quite clearly. but what is it ? I removed the oil filter ( i have a reusable kind ) and looked inside there is no metal at all
before I take the pan out does somebody has any ideas!!

OK TODAY DECEMBER 15 I picked up my roadster from the dealership 5 months later OAT -10 centigrade so the wrench did not try it out me neither so up on the truck and in on the lift table for the rest of winter we will wait spring to confirm it is fixed , I took pictures of parts removed and from what the wrench told me the cogs were not badly worn out the shifting forks were a bit worn at the tip only however there was a bushing mounted on the 5th gear shaft showing large scoring on its surface and apparently this little F******r caused the gears to separate momentarily while riding presumably causing this snapping /slapping feeling I felt in the foot pegs. all the parts look very similar as well to what other captains have discovered in their gearbox mine are not too badly worn except the bushing when you look it up enlarge the picture you will see!! . naturally triumph has NO plan to alleviate my frustration ..imagine a car giving such trouble after 18 000 miles and out of warranty there still would be a recall or a fix by the manufacturer but for us well there is not enough roadsters out there to make enough noise for the brass to change course

the pic about the birds well as I walked under that tree this morning somehow it rained a bit in -10
the wise man never walk under a flock of birds perched on a tree I will remember that

Attachments

• IMG_1981.JPG
    IMG_1981.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1980.JPG
    IMG_1980.JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1979.JPG
    IMG_1979.JPG
    172.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1978.JPG
    IMG_1978.JPG
    202.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1977.JPG
    IMG_1977.JPG
    169.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1976.JPG
    IMG_1976.JPG
    200.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1975.JPG
    IMG_1975.JPG
    449.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Sucks Triumph isn't willing to help you out after having fixed multiple under warranty.

Guess I wil have to flog the sh!t out of my '16 over the next 1.5 years to make the gears, shims and forks wear inside the warranty period. Ahhh who am I kidding, I planned to do that anyway. I didn't buy this monster to ride it with kid gloves on.

Me thinks twas all those BATS in your BELFRY!!! :eek: :roll: :p
The original owner should have logged 18K EACH YEAR!
18K over three years is woeful!

Me thinks twas all those BATS in your BELFRY!!! :eek: :roll: :p
The original owner should have logged 18K EACH YEAR!
18K over three years is woeful!
in this case the previous owner bought this roadster new on credit and after monthly taxes, loan, and insurance from what I heard he could not afford to put gas in the tank much less ride it much, a case of big bike dreams and little wallet capacity..

Are these transmission problems common after 15,000 to 30,000 miles or is it just certain bikes? I have 22,000 miles in a year and a few months time on the Rocket X and have had no problems at all. Shifts and rides smooth. Do not cherish the thought of rebuilding a transmission on a bike with less than 50,000 miles.

Are these transmission problems common after 15,000 to 30,000 miles or is it just certain bikes? I have 22,000 miles in a year and a few months time on the Rocket X and have had no problems at all. Shifts and rides smooth. Do not cherish the thought of rebuilding a transmission on a bike with less than 50,000 miles.
from the pictures of gearbox parts (mostly shifting forks and cogs ) posted by various captains and me it would appears that there is a recurring problem in there I think it is more an assembly problem than weak parts but the gurus on here would have a better understanding of it all if yours does not give you problem I guess your rocket was born under a good star:D

Back