Story of two: '08 R3T vs '15 R3T

Chip

Turbocharged
Ride
08 Rocket Touring, 15 Rocket Touring
As some of you Captains aware, I bought a second Rocket Touring. The first bike I put a whole lot of "stuff" on her. Bling everywhere! I bought it as the 2nd owner, with 4,000 miles. I love this cycle as much as I could any machine... That didn't come out right... Well, you get the drift. 2008, with over 60,000 miles on her and still riding strong.
The new bike is stock. Factory exaust, Metz original tires, and only 2,000 miles on a 2015 touring. Now the differences show. The older version has basic brakes. The 15 has abs brakes. The 08 has a better toon. Our resident expert got me the toon, for the tors and a K.N filter. The 08 seems to do fine when we ride with the other 3 Rockets in my group of friends. The 15 being stock everything, I thought would fine, but maybe she would be slower. NOT TRUE! The 15 is much quicker. The dam thing keeps picking the front tire off the pavement. Question? Why is the 15 so much faster than the 08. Any ideas will be appreciated.

My 05 Rocket with the TORS, K&N under seat with PC3 pulled much harder that my 14 with the same setup only with a PCV. The 05 was a torque monster. I didn't have the 05 dynoed like the 14 but the 05 was hands down quicker. The 14 handles much better in the twisties though and is a much better all round ride. Wish I could help you. Not doubting your word at all but could it be possibly the prior owner had a tune placed in it?

Last edited:
My 05 Rocket with the TORS, K&N under seat with PC3 pulled much harder that my 14 with the same setup only with a PCV. The 05 was a torque monster. I didn't have the 05 dynoed like the 14 but the 05 was hands down quicker. The 14 handles much better in the twisties though and is a much better all round ride. Wish I could help you. Not doubting your word at all but could it be possible the prior owner had a tune placed in it?
The original owner couldn't put the seat on the bike. So thinking of a different tune seems long for him. According to him, the bike is how it was from the dealer.

No it could be set off from the factory. Runs good and until you put it on a dyno or own a couple like you do
You wouldn't know it. They just didn't get all the chain slop out on the non adjusting side of the cam chain.

Back