Storing Bodywork / Tins - Rust Protection?

simonr

.040 Over
I've just bought a set of tins which have been removed from an unused bike. There is a very small amount of surface rust inside the tank. Nothing serious, and a quick wipe over with a rag soaked in WD40 has virtually got rid of it.

My long term plan is to have the tins custom painted, but it's going to be a while (at least 6 months, probably longer) before I can afford to have this done. In the meantime the tins will have to be stored in my loft (attic), which in the Winter is cold and a bit damp.

So, my question is should I do anything to the tins before putting them in storage? I'm particularly concerned about the inside of the tank - is there a product designed to rust-proof a tank internally, which won't cause a problem when I put petrol in it and run the bike? Or will a spray of WD40 every few months be enough to prevent rust?

Don't know what's available locally for you, but there is a product called Kreem that is specifically for coating/sealing the inside of gas tanks. If you don't want to go that route there are various brands of spray "fogging oils" that should work also. Snowmobile, outboard, or even the auto parts stores should have it. I've had good luck using the fogging oil even on long term storage of chrome mufflers in a damp garage. It is designed to be sprayed into motors that will be in storage, so shouldn't cause any issues on start up.

my advice is to stay away from any silicone based oils or grease, just because they tend to get into the pores of the metal, and you may have paint adhesion problems in the long run.
any chance you can just give them a good shot of WD40, (dont wipe off) and store them inside your home where its dry ?

Back