Storing Bikes in cold weather

Laverada

2016 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster
Ride
2016 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster
Hey there everyone, Just thought I'd ask a simple but important question about cold weather bike storage!

So I have two bikes, the Triumph Rocket of course and the BMW R1200gs.

I am currently storing them in a airplane hanger with absolutely no insulation just protection from wind/rain and snow.

These bikes are going to lay low for at least 3 months.

Is there anything I should know about keeping them in the cold? Also how often or should I even consider starting the engines and warming things up?

I will have them plugged into battery tinders.

I had Triumphs (750 Bonneville and 750 Trident) in Seattle when I went to UW a LONG time ago and I just left them outside the house uncovered since I didn't have a garage (or much else...) back then.

Here in seriously cold Maine I add plenty of Stabil and keep the tanks full. Years ago I had some rust in the tank of a bike that didn't have much gas in the tank over the winter so now I keep them full just to be sure. I keep them all (including ATVs) in the unheated garage and shed on battery tenders and don't start them until they go operational in the Spring. I keep the snowmobiles in their trailer on battery tenders and add Stabil during the off season.

I had Triumphs (750 Bonneville and 750 Trident) in Seattle when I went to UW a LONG time ago and I just left them outside the house uncovered since I didn't have a garage (or much else...) back then.

Here in seriously cold Maine I add plenty of Stabil and keep the tanks full. Years ago I had some rust in the tank of a bike that didn't have much gas in the tank over the winter so now I keep them full just to be sure. I keep them all (including ATVs) in the unheated garage and shed on battery tenders and don't start them until they go operational in the Spring. I keep the snowmobiles in their trailer on battery tenders and add Stabil during the off season.
Alright so you're saying I should fill the tank up completely to prevent any rust or condensation in the tank?

I think you have it now, Sat-Bil, full tank of gas and battery on a tender. I ride mine all year and it gets stored over night under a bike cover in the elements. That is not by choice but by necessity. Good luck Laverada!

I keep the tanks full of gas/Stabil and don't start the bikes/ATVs until I am going to use them in the Spring. As mentioned above, unless you are going to run them for a really good while, condensation will build up in the oil and the exhaust won't dry out.

In the Spring, I siphon as much gas out of the tanks as possible and dump it one at a time (typically 2-3 gallons) in one of my vehicles where is diluted in the 19+ gallon tanks and then continue doing that until I have gone through each of the bikes/ATVs. Then I fill the bikes/ATVs with fresh premium gas and a healthy does of Startron. Works for me every time..

If possible use ethanol free gas to store the bikes along with a stabiliser. Personally I'd pull the batteries and keep them charged indoors as I've had problems with so called intelligent chargers overcharging. In the Spring install the batteries and ride. That's worked for me for 47 years in Canada ( rode year round in England).

Back