Stock Triumph Saddlebags, Can these be made Quick Detach

Kyrocket

.040 Over
Is there anyway that I could make my Triumph Saddlebags quick detach? The only time that I use them is when the wife rides with me and that is not that often.

Is there anyway that I could make my Triumph Saddlebags quick detach? The only time that I use them is when the wife rides with me and that is not that often.

You just have to take off the stock mounting and unbolt the bags then bolt the bags to the EZ's brackets. There will be some superfluous holes remaining on the backs which you may want to plug. I did this on my previous Rocket.

I want to do the same thing. I have ordered a set of easy brackets which I know you can mount the Triumph bags too. That will make them easy on and off. The only problem I see, and I got this information from various posts on this forum is that the bags over time will sag. I like the way the stock brackets support the bottom of the saddle bag. The stock brackets, where they mount to the rail are not flat, they kind of protrude so I was considering grinding them flat so they would sit flat against the easy bracket. They will stick out a little further than if you mounted the bag directly on the easy bracket but its only the thickness of the stock bracket. Not a big deal in my opinion as I dont plan to leave the bags on permenantly. It should still look good....I hope.

On the flip side if the bag was ridgid enough you would not need the stock bracket. This past weekend I just finished making a mold of the inside of the Triumph saddlebags. I am going to attempt to make a fiberglass insert that can be installed in the bag to make it ridgid. Once I get it done Ill post some pics. i love the look of the bags and I know with a little inginuity they can be made better.

Cheers

I want to do the same thing. I have ordered a set of easy brackets which I know you can mount the Triumph bags too. That will make them easy on and off. The only problem I see, and I got this information from various posts on this forum is that the bags over time will sag. I like the way the stock brackets support the bottom of the saddle bag. The stock brackets, where they mount to the rail are not flat, they kind of protrude so I was considering grinding them flat so they would sit flat against the easy bracket. They will stick out a little further than if you mounted the bag directly on the easy bracket but its only the thickness of the stock bracket. Not a big deal in my opinion as I dont plan to leave the bags on permenantly. It should still look good....I hope.

On the flip side if the bag was ridgid enough you would not need the stock bracket. This past weekend I just finished making a mold of the inside of the Triumph saddlebags. I am going to attempt to make a fiberglass insert that can be installed in the bag to make it ridgid. Once I get it done Ill post some pics. i love the look of the bags and I know with a little inginuity they can be made better.

Cheers

The saggy Triumph leather bags have always been a problem. The EZ brackets have a smaller footprint on the back of the bag so they will tend to deform. One solution is to bolt or rivet an aluminum backing to the bag to increase the surface area. Some guys (Sidecare Flip?) put rigid inserts into the bags.

Good point Dougl; Im still waiting for the Easy brackets so I have not been able to see how the stock brackets would line up but I will start looking for some aluminum to expand the contact surface. Inside my bag is a 1/4" plexiglass pannel that the stock brackets bolt too, im assuming that this insert is standard. I have never seen another set of bags to compare.

Good point Dougl; Im still waiting for the Easy brackets so I have not been able to see how the stock brackets would line up but I will start looking for some aluminum to expand the contact surface. Inside my bag is a 1/4" plexiglass pannel that the stock brackets bolt too, im assuming that this insert is standard. I have never seen another set of bags to compare.

Does that plexiglass panel cover the entire backing on the inside?

A simple way to make it easier to get the bags off is the drill holes through the back of the bags to align with the two mounting bolts that hold the mounting frame to the bike. That way you just need to undo two bolts (on each side) from inside the saddle bag and remove the bags and mounts in one go. You'll either then need some spacers or shorter bolts to put back in to hold the fender side covers in place. You'll be able to get the bags off in a couple of minutes.

I actually use EZ Bracket bolts when the bags are off. The rear bolts especially stick out a little and provide a useful mounting point for a strap if i need to tie something over the back seat. I bought a set of EZ Brackets but don't like the way they'd push the bags out by so much and the lack of support for the bag, made worse because the can only be mounted off centre.

Back