Strange

Standard Bore
I'm new to the R3 world. Just bought a used 2005 Rocket iii and I really like the bike but it rides like a shortbed pickup truck. I've had lots of bikes and this by far is the roughest. I've played around with the settings on the rear and it didn't really improve. The front shocks also seem to be pretty unforgiving. I've seen on the net that others recommend getting new shocks but they were talking about really heavy riders - around 350lbs. I weigh in at 225. Is this just the way it is on an R3?

I'm going to guess that the shocks are not OEM from Triumph. Most of the stock shocks are too soft for very aggressive riding. Hence the short bed pick-up feel. I'm surprised that you can't get them to a softer ride. Find out what make they are and folks her will make suggestions as to adjusting them. NO, it's not a usual Rocket ride to be very stiff.

I have to disagree. The stock shocks are awful. stiff and unresponsive with harsh damping. The rear end skips all over when pushing hard through corners. That is why many go to Progressives or other aftermarket ones.

The stock shocks on a 2005 might as well be just metal struts! I weigh about 190 and they didn't even move with me on the bike. I have been running a set of Triumph's "Comfort" shocks for quite a while now and I really like them. I tried a set of Progressive 412s with standandard springs. They were a big improvement over the stock shocks, but they bottomed too wasy. I am very happy with Triumph's Comfort shocks..

You can play with the pre-load and find that the OEM shocks are built for riding 2-up. Solo they just aren't worth spit. Progressive makes a decent shock, or you can spend some real dosh and go with the Hagon Nitro's (my choice). Anything (even the Ikons) are better suited to solo riding. If you mostly ride 2-up with full luggage and pull a 2,000 lb. trailer, the stockers work great.:eek:

The stock shocks on my '05 would "throw" me off the seat at any agressive bump. Apparently my 175 lb stature was not enough to make 'em work. Maybe they were designed for lots of weight, like a "big" dude or riding 2 up.

Anyway, I went with Progressive 440's and have been very happy. Lowest setting when it's just me on the bike (I never ride 2 up, the wife hates bikes) or bumped up 2 complete turns when loaded for a trip.

Love 'em. Definitely the way to go. Cost a chunck of change but will provide the ride you desire.

I bought a set of Roadster shocks from bagman on this site and really like them alot. I will say this, the shocks on my 09 were a big improvement over the ones that came on my 05. The Roadster shocks replaced a set of progressive 412s with standard springs. I prefer the Roadster shocks over the 412s.

I bought a set of Roadster shocks from bagman on this site and really like them alot. I will say this, the shocks on my 09 were a big improvement over the ones that came on my 05. The Roadster shocks replaced a set of progressive 412s with standard springs. I prefer the Roadster shocks over the 412s.

glad to hear they worked out for you!

I've heard all kinds of advice for the 440's as to whether to go with the HD's or standard. I'm about 175 and ride 1 up only - very occasionally 2 up (like maybe twice a year for short trips). Would the HD's be too stiff for this type of use?

Back