Stock exhaust to Triumph after market exhaust.

Rob D

Bolted Dolt
im changing out my pipes to another set of Triumph pipes that fit and bolt on the same way. No headers are being changed.
Removing was easy. I hit a snag.
If you've done this there are two bolts toward the rear of the pipe that go from the inside into a mount on the pipe itself. The nuts fit into that mount and can slide to accommodate moving the pipe as needed to slide it etc.

Those nuts fit a slot inside the mount.

My problem has been getting the pipe on the header, then getting the bolts through to the nut that 'floats' in the mount slots.
The bolts have to be screwed in as soon as the pipe is set in place, the problem; the nuts slide or fall out of the slots. There is little chance that the bolt hits the nut exactly as needed.

Any quick tips for something I thought sure was cake? Maybe I'm over thinking.

Thanks

First what are you doing to those donuts? Two in the ------ and one in the-----? Anyway, be patient. If you need to have someone help you, its good to have them hold the muffler while you get things sorted. You can use a piece of thick string or wire to hold the nuts in place. If the bike is level you should really have an issue. Stick a wad of paper towel or something in one side to prevent the nuts from moving. You will get them. Use the force if nothing else works.

When I do a tire change I don't take the brackets loose from the mufflers..... I take the brackets loose from the bike. So you could try taking the brackets off the bike, fasten them snuggly (not final torque)to the mufflers and then mount the muffler and bracket assembly to the bike. Then adjust as needed. This way you're not fighting lining up the bolts with the slide nuts.

When I do a tire change I don't take the brackets loose from the mufflers..... I take the brackets loose from the bike. So you could try taking the brackets off the bike, fasten them snuggly (not final torque)to the mufflers and then mount the muffler and bracket assembly to the bike. Then adjust as needed. This way you're not fighting lining up the bolts with the slide nuts.

This crossed my mind. Thanks

First what are you doing to those donuts? Two in the ------ and one in the-----? Anyway, be patient. If you need to have someone help you, its good to have them hold the muffler while you get things sorted. You can use a piece of thick string or wire to hold the nuts in place. If the bike is level you should really have an issue. Stick a wad of paper towel or something in one side to prevent the nuts from moving. You will get them. Use the force if nothing else works.

These sound like good ideas. I had tried some tape over the bolt head...anyway, that got ugly.
Thanks for the help.

I alsohad the same problem so removed the brackets and did it that way. It made it a piece of p*ss.

Welcome............................
NOBODY'S COMMENTED ON HIS TRIPLE DIGIT AVATAR YET?????????????????????????? o_O
2 in the Pink - 1 in the stink !

Back