sonny

Living Legend
Ride
rocket three x
Cams have not made it here yet. Key word is patience. Really getting excited about this next round of upgrades. Bike should run great by the time i get it tuned in Oklahoma city. Still have not received canned tune from the man in the shed but not worried about that either. Figure he has not forgot about me and will come through. Getting the top tree on the forks along with the fly screen brackets powder coated should improve the looks a lot. Thinking about getting the pipes Paul's three into one system re-coated with maybe a shiner ceramic coating. New tires been looking at a set of the New Cobra's. Going to replace the clutch safety switch. Works fine after cleaning it but don't trust it. Replaced the secondary TPS awhile back and have a new primary TPS to install. Need to tighten up the neck a bit but the new bearings are fine. Installed but never tighten back up after a few thousand miles figure it is time. The brake reservoir cover on the rear brakes is going to get a powder coat job along with a few other items not mentioned. Thinking about one of those Corbin seats. Should be more than ready for a good run around June. Go figure.:D:D:D:D:D:D

You will not be disappointed by the pipes or cams both those guys make nice stuff. I did have to wait quite a while also to get the whole thing done but it is a fast machine.

Already have the pipes been on the bike for awhile. Not going with the pistons just the street cams. Like your set up very much but for me i ride a lot. 50,000 on the X to date. Have to think about reliability. Even with the latest purchase plan on keeping the X as my main ride. 115 miles a day six days a week plus adds up quick. So we are keeping it simple. A bit more than the average exhaust and air intake is fine with me. Plan on doing all the work minus the tune myself. Real good at turning a wrench but suck As$ at tunes. Yours is fast mine will be not as fast but better than average. Got a feeling will be very happy with it. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Already have the pipes been on the bike for awhile. Not going with the pistons just the street cams. Like your set up very much but for me i ride a lot. 50,000 on the X to date. Have to think about reliability. Even with the latest purchase plan on keeping the X as my main ride. 115 miles a day six days a week plus adds up quick. So we are keeping it simple. A bit more than the average exhaust and air intake is fine with me. Plan on doing all the work minus the tune myself. Real good at turning a wrench but suck As$ at tunes. Yours is fast mine will be not as fast but better than average. Got a feeling will be very happy with it. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
I hear ya. My bike is wound pretty tight and with all that high compression there is a strain on it I’m sure. I have other bikes for touring and cruising but two are built for power. The Rocket is like riding a fire bomb just waiting for something to happen. I think it will last a while but it is a bit frenetic. See ya in MV.

Do not have that kind of money. Did buy No. 74 2020. but plan on keeping that one almost stock. 2010 Fatboy is getting a rebuild again. Figure this time keep her around 130 horse vice the other. Modified S%S 124 cubic inch but not as radical. o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

@sonny I'm watching your project with great interest. I also ride nearly every day, about 40 minutes each way to work, plus weekends. I'd love to have a Carpenter system but, as you said, this is my main mode of transportation and reliability comes first. I'm waiting on the crossover pipe from PB and then the only next step would be to drop in those cams. I'll be very interested to hear from you just how much of a difference they make. Keep us posted and see you in Maggie Valley....

Do not have that kind of money. Did buy No. 74 2020. but plan on keeping that one almost stock. 2010 Fatboy is getting a rebuild again. Figure this time keep her around 130 horse vice the other. Modified S%S 124 cubic inch but not as radical. o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

I could be wrong.. but once you ride the 2020 ... I bet you'll put more miles on it than you think. :D

@sonny I'm watching your project with great interest. I also ride nearly every day, about 40 minutes each way to work, plus weekends. I'd love to have a Carpenter system but, as you said, this is my main mode of transportation and reliability comes first. I'm waiting on the crossover pipe from PB and then the only next step would be to drop in those cams. I'll be very interested to hear from you just how much of a difference they make. Keep us posted and see you in Maggie Valley....
I haven't heard of reliability issues with Carpenter or Lush equipped engines. Are you aware of failures that are attributable to the slightly bigger cams and higher compression?

As far as these mods go, nothing I see suggests they are so tightly strung they are gonna break more. I know it will break down more if you thrash it, but a stocker will break if its not loved properly too.....

I haven't heard of reliability issues with Carpenter or Lush equipped engines. Are you aware of failures that are attributable to the slightly bigger cams and higher compression?

As far as these mods go, nothing I see suggests they are so tightly strung they are gonna break more. I know it will break down more if you thrash it, but a stocker will break if its not loved properly too.....

Not speaking for Sonny (no one speaks for Sonny ;-) but I would think that any performance engine run as intended would put more stress on the other non-performance parts. Now, if one were to drive the performance bike exactly as they did the stock bike, I would think the stresses would be equal, but then what's the point?

I'm not necessarily saying that you're incorrect, and I sorta, kinda, want to be talked out of this viewpoint, it's just that Sonny's stance makes common sense to me AND it prevents me from starting to save pennies for a future trip to Carpenter land.

My bikes get plenty of love and maintenance, along with some occasional moderate thrashing just to let the horse out in the pasture to run when she tells me to.

Back