Still pulls to the left-slightly

DJ

Bob Ewell fell on his Knife.
Ride
2007 R3 Classic
My 2007 Classic has always pulled to the left. (I did buy it used. No idea of previous life)
last set of tires showed considerable more wear on the right side of the back tire. Might have been caused by low tire pressure. The front tire was fine.
I have always had to keep a slight amount of forward pressure on the right hand-grip to track straight.
I had a local Triumph dealership check the shocks, replace the oil, check the head-stock rear shocks etc. All were found (0r so they say) to be fine.

I've since loosened the motor mounts and re-torqued them to factory spec.
The left hand pull is much better since I re-torqued the motor mounts, but it still pulls slightly left.

I have taken the triumph summer screen off. No difference.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

D-

My 2010 Touring always has too, I eventually just forgot to worry about it

I can drive for miles no handed on my 06 classic. My guess is you have a balance issue on your tire maybe. Had a friend with an old xs750 with massive pull. He had a new tire mounted and "tried" to balance. Guy running the balancer came back with about a pound worth of weights on a quarter of the rim. Got a new rim, mount and balance and pull was gone.

Did you jack the motor up un till the bolt slides freely? Then torque.

Yes, when I loosened the motor mounts the bolts were loose.
One item of note, one of the motor mount bolts was loose, as in only (and I'm guessing here) aprox. 30 lbs. of torque.
I will be running like this for awhile and then check the torque. I may try this one more time to make sure I did it correctly. It only takes about 1 hour to loosen the bolts and re-torque.

D-

My 2010 Touring always has too, I eventually just forgot to worry about it

I have heard both-they all pull left- they track straight. Seems to be an individual thing. I have noticed tire pressure is a big deal with these bikes. Must have correct tire pressure.

Well just for the heck of it have you checked the final drive to make sure she is not a little cocked ? Maybe relax the bolts and retorque them. With the tire mounted, slacken up the axle nut a skosh also so if she wants to find the position she can.

Just a thought and well my beer was empty :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Well just for the heck of it have you checked the final drive to make sure she is not a little cocked ? Maybe relax the bolts and retorque them. With the tire mounted, slacken up the axle nut a skosh also so if she wants to find the position she can.

Just a thought and well my beer was empty :D

I'll give it a shot. Thanks

D

Back