"sticking" back brake - smoked pads, cooked disc...

JRCollings

.040 Over
Good afternoon Captains... I have a question, but first a bit of background to frame it for you.

I rarely used my rear brake other than when doing tight slow speed turns, coasting to a light hoping it will change, or holding me still on a hill... I had been under the impression (from hearing a 'rubbing' kind of noise coming from the rear on occasion), that my rear brake was NOT fully disengaging when lightly applied and then let off... I DID have this checked at the 600mile service and they said it was fine. However...

Today, went out with the boys for a breakfast ride, coasted down to a rolling stop at a set of lights, feathering rear brake and then took off to a cruise at about 75 for 8-10 miles... pulled up at traffic lights and thought I got a whiff of 'burning brake pad'. Upon riding off from light, tried depressing brake pedal - a LOT of travel and NO braking effect... got to Iowa Cafe, and looked... disc is 'blued' with heat and has a kind of 'deposit' on it in places, pads are toast....

I haven't really looked yet, so I apologize in advance, but I assume these are probably 'floating calipers'?

Either way, anyone know what caused this (and no, I did NOT have my foot resting on the brake pedal, I have my highway pegs set in a position where my foot can't touch the brake and I was using those, I also have it adjusted so it does not come on without a very deliberate downward tilt of the boot when on the normal pegs).... so assuming NO operator involvement - what caused this and how do I stop it happening again?

I had noticed on previous occasions that a 'sharp application and release' seemed to stop the noise / stop the binding, if I thought it was going on; so i am assuming some kind of sticky caliper or suchlike; but your opinions and experience greatly appreciated as this clearly needs to be fixed.

Thanks, John.

Smoking rear brake

Depending on how many miles since the 600 checkup, I would call the dealer and have them arrange to pick the bike up (since it is obviously not safe to ride). Then I'd go down there and say....see, this is what I was talking about at the 600 mile checkup!!

Take a notebook and write things down if they start squirming or dancing.

That is what I would do.

oldsprint03

I most deffinately agree with oldsprint, it's hard enought to get a vehicle to duplicate a complaint while it's in the shop, but when you have a safety item turning blue ... that's hard to miss.

As far as what causes things like that ... lots of things can do it, but with something that new it's just guessing.

1. slide pins rusted/corroded
2. pistons rusted/corroded
3. resevoir over filled
4. debris in fluid
5. sticking master cyl.
6. stuck linkage
7. pinched/kinked brake line

I probably missed a couple more, but theres the gist of it.
If it turned the rotor blue and the pads overheated, there are most likely some parts that will require replacement anyway, a Triumph dealer should get involved.

I most deffinately agree with oldsprint, it's hard enought to get a vehicle to duplicate a complaint while it's in the shop, but when you have a safety item turning blue ... that's hard to miss.

As far as what causes things like that ... lots of things can do it, but with something that new it's just guessing.

1. slide pins rusted/corroded
2. pistons rusted/corroded
3. resevoir over filled
4. debris in fluid
5. sticking master cyl. <----------------------------------------------------------------
6. stuck linkage
7. pinched/kinked brake line

I probably missed a couple more, but theres the gist of it.
If it turned the rotor blue and the pads overheated, there are most likely some parts that will require replacement anyway, a Triumph dealer should get involved.

It was number 5 for me. Tech. found that debris had contaminated the master cylinder. I drive in all conditions. That forward facing rubber boot on master cyl. can let stuff by over time. Have them open it clean it and replace seals.. worked for me.
Good Luck.

Which dealer do you go to? I found that Performance Cycle (Mike is the service mgr.) in Tucson is worth my drive down whenever I need service. Plus I saved over $2000 bucks over the best deal I could get in the valley whenI bought my bike.
Good luck with your brakes.

I had a problem similar the pivot on the brake pedel was stiff and not letting the pedel to return fully. I removed the pedel cleaned and lubed the pivot .

azbbqer: Performance Cycle is where I bought the bike - they seem like a great crew!

I was going to take it to Go Daddy (N. Phx) for warranty work as Tucson is a bit of a jaunt from N. Phoenix and it also means I am stuck there until it is fixed....

Re the above issue, I ended up stripping it myself - it seemed as though the caliper was seized on the pins and one of the pistons was sticky - cleaned / freed it all off, etc - stuck some EBC pads in there and it appears to be fine apart from some noise where the disc is still a little rough - but it is improving and I reckon it will wear off.

Back