Stepper Motor Pooched?

Zonechamp

Supercharged
Ride
2009 Rocket 3 Standard
My stepper motor does not move at all during startup. I reset all the perimeters and everything seems to be in spec. My question is, should I be able to move the shaft by hand at all? I can't budge it. Also is there a way to jumper it to make it activate so I can see if it moves or if it's seized?

i would pull the rubber back and spray it good with wd40.
info when u turn on key it should go out and then come back.
i would say to check the wires to see if u have volts at the time u turn the key on
i would not try to power the the stepper motor.
i do not know where the connector is but if u unplug the connector then u could check for ohms. if it has an open then it is bad.
if someone knows the ohms then u could use something similar like a light to plug in to check the circuit.

is there a way to jumper it to make it activate so I can see if it moves or if it's seized?
Not really, stepper motors need a driver that supply power to the different windings to hold position and to move in small steps. Simply supply power to the windings will not make it rotate.
Stepper motor - Wikipedia
Rick

It powers, but it doesn't move at all, at any time. That's why I was trying to figure out if it was the stepper or the TPS and associated wiring that makes it move. I really think it's the stepper as the TPS is set correctly. Thanks for the info.

No you should not be able to move it without a lot of force. Have you run the stepper motor test with tune ecu?

Everything was set up and tested a few months ago when I changed my primary TPS. I don't have a laptop right now so I tried to check it with my Android, and everything checks out.

well i played with my stepper motor (jokes ok)
there are 4 terminals and if u check them diagonally the ohms are 9 ohms each.
also just for fun i turned the ign on the stepper came out and then i unplugged it and started it a few times seemed to work good. if turned on the check engine light and then went off after a couple of starts after i plugged it back in.

It powers, but it doesn't move at all, at any time. That's why I was trying to figure out if it was the stepper or the TPS and associated wiring that makes it move. I really think it's the stepper as the TPS is set correctly. Thanks for the info.

the stepper motor is controlled by ecu the tps sends its signal to ecu.
this is just a guess i have never tried this if the ecu does not receive a tps signal it might not work the stepper motor.
can u tell if the tps is working with your android?

just thinking if your tps is reading and your stepper motor not working i would think that u could put some type of wedge or something between the motor and the throttle to make the tps read the .72volts then that should work till u get this corrected.
u might want to try taking the stepper off moving the rubber aside and spray it good with wd40 then just cycle the key a few times.

Back