Stepper Motor Adjustment

BigAl1952

Old Opinionated Bastard
Ride
2005 Rocket III
Can anyone tell me if adjusting the nut on the stepper motor will control how quick the idle comes back to its set idle in the ecm. By this I mean when coming to a stop on the bike and pulling in the clutch at times mine will blubber at times a moment or low idle before recovering to the set idle in the ecm. It doesn't do it all the time but more times than not. I wondered if I make some small adjustments on the nut if it would help. Thanks Al

Can anyone tell me if adjusting the nut on the stepper motor will control how quick the idle comes back to its set idle in the ecm. By this I mean when coming to a stop on the bike and pulling in the clutch at times mine will blubber at times a moment or low idle before recovering to the set idle in the ecm. It doesn't do it all the time but more times than not. I wondered if I make some small adjustments on the nut if it would help. Thanks Al
It might help Al the key is at what point will it mess with the idle. Right now it sounds like yours could use a little adjustment but you have to take in mind at some point you might have to make an adjustment on the primary TPS. from your e-mail and this post it seems the stepper motor is all the way extended maybe even more then zero % throttle. so yous shuts completely starving the engine before the ecu send s signal to the stepper motor to open her up a bit to make the programmed idle. I know you know how to set this stuff so I would not be worried if you tried to play with the tolerances set on the TPS and Stepper motor movements to try to achieve the best overall running results.
Call me if this sounds confusing.

Thanks Scott no I get what your saying because it changes that gap you need set. Currently TPS is set at .60 and when I do the full reset I know have her backed down to .10 vs the .12. Im going to give that a go and see what happens. Just did that with a reset adaptive and a 12 min tune now to for a short ride and see what I come up with. Al

I rode to the filling station 12 miles from home the bike ran fine. I filled up the tank and took off rode for about 8 miles then all of a sudden the bike would stall when I came to a stop. I thought that I may have gotten some bad gas. the bike ran good at hwy speeds so I decided to run out the bad gas (good excuse to go up to the mountains). I ran that gas out and filled up with good gas and added Sea-foam and preformed the 12 minute tune. The issue persisted, At the next stop I used tape to make a type of shim between stepper arm and throttle wheel. this worked until it fell out. could I adjust the nut out or do i meed to look for something else.

I rode to the filling station 12 miles from home the bike ran fine. I filled up the tank and took off rode for about 8 miles then all of a sudden the bike would stall when I came to a stop. I thought that I may have gotten some bad gas. the bike ran good at hwy speeds so I decided to run out the bad gas (good excuse to go up to the mountains). I ran that gas out and filled up with good gas and added Sea-foam and preformed the 12 minute tune. The issue persisted, At the next stop I used tape to make a type of shim between stepper arm and throttle wheel. this worked until it fell out. could I adjust the nut out or do i meed to look for something else.
most likely the TPS sensor and the stepper motor are out of sync. it could since yours is a 05 I would first ask how old is the TPS sensor? Do you have a updated map in the ECU?

The TPS and stepper motor reset ISCV idle stepper motor control voltage check/adjustment is the first thing I would look at. and if your under the tank and have triple filters look at the vacuum lines on the throttle bodies. If it was erratic I would also look at the low tension leads on the coils as they vibrate loose and need re-crimped over time. I think my bike was 3 years old when I found that little electrical gremlin.

Thanks I'll check it out today. The TPS is original I'm running a PCM 3 and info from the previous owner the set up was done at Triumph North America HQ. I've read about the low tension leads and shoud have look at it...but I for got...:( this is why I love this site.:inlove Y'all do note I said this site.:)

Back