Steering Stem or Headstock Bearing

Claviger

Aspiring Student
Ride
'21 Z H2, '14 R3R, '02 Daytona 955i
Often the source of wobbles, clicks, and a "loose" feeling from the front.

I had mine work loose again. Tightened at 350 miles when new because it was loose. Now at 4300 I had to tighten down again, had worked loose enough to feel a click when applying the front brake.

I used the revised method, different than the FSM says and left the weight of the bike on the front while tightening it, feels great again.

Have you all had to periodically retorque the 2 nuts that hold it in place under the top yoke as well?

I never realized it until last night, but the stock bearing is a taper roller, so why the stupid low torque spec? It can handle vastly higher loads then the ball type, and the fsm method uses the same torque spec as the ball type triumph uses on other models.

I nelglected to check mine up until 45000 klm , bike was getting skittish in tge front end , i then tightened it using a large flathead screwdriver and rubber mallet. The test i use to check when tight enough is to have the front wheel off the ground and flick the bars both to the left and right, when it bounces off the stop and hits centre the torque is right.

Back