crashpete

Supercharged
Ride
2012 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster
Has anyone on here tried to torque the nut for the steering head bearing with a crowsfoot? That way you don't have to take off the handlebar.

I thought about it, but, the whole process of disassembly, tightening, reassembly is only about an hour job so didn't watch to short cut and already short job and potential slip and damage all my powder coating work :p

If you are talking about the top nut? You really need the thin wrenches because after you torque the bottom nut you need to jam the top nut and not move the bottom nut so as to over torque the bearings.

If you are talking about the top nut? You really need the thin wrenches because after you torque the bottom nut you need to jam the top nut and not move the bottom nut so as to over torque the bearings.
Yes the top nut, this is mainly from a shimmy at certain speeds with hands off of the bars.

JMO
some have had this
most have corrected this with a front tire replace.
we have seen this with metz and avon.
my experience with metz tank slaper if i took hand off bars. wore out the tire (always had a hand on bar) replaced with cobra and now have no problems.:)

JMO
some have had this
most have corrected this with a front tire replace.
we have seen this with metz and avon.
my experience with metz tank slaper if i took hand off bars. wore out the tire (always had a hand on bar) replaced with cobra and now have no problems.:)

You took the mouth right outa my words :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :whitstling:

Tires do play a part in the infamous wobble. Either way replacing headstock bearings during this up grade and maintenance round. Have had to adjust my head-stock several times in the last 38,000 miles and believe future adjustment may be futile. Figure as long as it is all apart (installing progressive springs) might as well get it done. ;);););););)

I have had Avon cobra tires since the stock wore out, and I've always had the wobble so I believe it to be the headstock.

Back