Steering Bearing Replacement

Claviger

Aspiring Student
Ride
'21 Z H2, '14 R3R, '02 Daytona 955i
My Bearings should get here tomorrow, they desperately need to be replaced, with the adjuster nut fully tightened down there is still a small clunk when wobbling the forks with the front tire up in the air. She's also developed a wobble over 100 mph, a slow oscillating back and forth wobble.

See as I don't own a press I plan on buying these tools:

par_07_ste_rac_rem.jpg

Park Tool USA Steering Race Remover | Dirt Bike | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

tus_14_ste_ste_bea_pre-147966.jpg

mot_16_too_ste_ste_bea-160120001.jpg

Motion Pro Steering Stem Bearing Tool | ATV | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

And some of this to pack the new bearings with:

bel_15_wat_pro_gre_tub.jpg

Bel-Ray Water Proof Grease | ATV | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Am I forgetting anything?!

My Bearings should get here tomorrow, they desperately need to be replaced, with the adjuster nut fully tightened down there is still a small clunk when wobbling the forks with the front tire up in the air. She's also developed a wobble over 100 mph, a slow oscillating back and forth wobble.

par_07_ste_rac_rem.jpg

Having toys is good but you can really repack them with your fingers by rolling and pushing. An old school trick is to to squirt a bit of wd40 as you are packing. It makes the grease a bit runnier which makes it super easy to push in.

Last edited:
Having toys is good but you can really repack them with your fingers by rolling and pushing. An old school trick is to to squirt a bit of wd40 as you are packing. It makes the grease a bit runnier which makes it super easy to push in.

I would not recommend this for any bearing that uses bearing grease. It would change the properties of the grease at the very surface at which is very specifically designed for with any particular application. A lot of engineering goes into different grease products to obtain these properties. Just take care to get it packed in as much as possible and coating all the contact surfaces. Just my 3 cents.

I would not recommend this for any bearing that uses bearing grease. It would change the properties of the grease at the very surface at which is very specifically designed for with any particular application. A lot of engineering goes into different grease products to obtain these properties. Just take care to get it packed in as much as possible and coating all the contact surfaces. Just my 3 cents.

WD40 is fantastic for flushing bearing grease and grime for the initial cleanup.

As for the amount I am talking about during the repacking is very tiny and since it is water displacement it does ooze out while finalising the packing.

I was showed this back in my skate boarding years and have never seen it damage a bearing.

I wouldn't mind being corrected if I have been fought something wrong but never had a problem in the almost 30 years I have used this method for packing bearings.

Think you just about got it covered clav !
On every bike I have owned , whilst the headstock and stem has been off I have always fitted a grease nipple to the frame . Not a good idea if you have open frame tubes around the head , but on a closed headstock I find you can loosen the stem nuts pump the head full of grease and it automatically pushes the old dirty grease out and replenishes the grease in the bearings !

par_07_ste_rac_rem.jpg

YOU want to use HIGH TEMP WHEEL BEARING GREASE that wont melt from all the engine heat that ROASTS the steering head and melts away any other grease and dont spray any Wd40 in with the grease that will degrade it and cause it to run out DO you know how to pack a BEARING ?

Back