Stebel Horn Install Problem

JohnnyCanuck

Supercharged
So I removed the left side cover from the Rocket in order to install the Stebel horn and much to my surprise I saw a fairly sizable cylinder laying horizontally behind the left cover. From reading other posts I believe this to the be "Evap Canister" which is required in California but not any other states and I guess also a requirement in Canada or at least B.C.

My question is whether this Evap Canister can be removed and, if so, how?

If it cannot be removed - is there anywhere else I can mount the Stebel where it won't be visible?

What is an Evap Canister anyways?!?!

This is a somewhat distressing turn of events.

I didn't have one on my R3T. But, if it is the evap canister you can safely remove it. You need to connect the line into the canister from the fuel tank to the line out of the canister going under the bike. You also need to plug the vacuum line that is connected to the canister.

All this is from memory having done it on a BMW R1200GS several years ago. You may want to do a search on removing evaporator canisters on Google. The process will be pretty much the same regardless of make.

I mounted a Stebel Airhorn in my bikini (70's style) fairing, fed via relay and poking out between the headlights. Works well and shifts semi trailers.:rolleyes: I cut the round headlight fairing to take the two headlights of the Rocket poking through the fairing. Looks great and works well to stop wind and buffeting on the body and face.:)

Johny C, I found the same thing under my left cover. I split the stebel in two pieces. I put the compressor where my original horn was and mounted the horn on the post by my left leg. The arch on the horn that holds the compressor fits on the frame nicely using a couple of hose clamps that can't be seen. I've got a couple of thousand miles after install with no issues.

Got any pics, Barney? Sounds interesting.

Here's a few shots of the Stebel horn in the bikini fairing. Stebel f.jpg

Steble Horn in fairing.jpg

Stebel tank up.jpg

I don't think I would like that either.

I thought they made a louder horn that mounts where the factory one is now but you have to do some material removal on the horn cover on front of the bike.

Anyone seen this one?

I'm fixing to mount the stebel horn I just bought in the empty air box. I figure it will blow right out the front where the intake hose was for the old intake manifold. Any body see any thing wrong with that? Out of site and should be heard well with the open airbox.

So I removed the left side cover from the Rocket in order to install the Stebel horn and much to my surprise I saw a fairly sizable cylinder laying horizontally behind the left cover. From reading other posts I believe this to the be "Evap Canister" which is required in California but not any other states and I guess also a requirement in Canada or at least B.C.

My question is whether this Evap Canister can be removed and, if so, how?

If it cannot be removed - is there anywhere else I can mount the Stebel where it won't be visible?

What is an Evap Canister anyways?!?!

This is a somewhat distressing turn of events.

That's to collect fuel vapor. The tree-hugging emission ****'s of California require it to reduce fumes. Not unlike the requirement to add oxygen to fuels to reduce emissions except it doesn't and just adds cost to the fuel instead. However it helps increase the tax on fuel so the state gets the help it needs. It does squat for the motor.:mad:

On the plus side I live in Kansas and the left side cover now houses my coolant overflow tank.:cool:

Back