Stebel Compact Air Horn Install on 2012 Roadster - Need Help!

ricochet

Rocket Captain
Ride
2012 Rocket III Roadster
Greetings Fellow Rocket Captains!

I have recently picked up a Stebel Air Horn along with a PLug and Play wiring harness, and an L bracket. I am very excited at the thought of getting this horn on my bike as I had one on my previous bike (Suzuki M109R) and it was (pardon the pun) a blast.

I am trying to figure out the best way to mount the horn, but I've got a couple of problems. My bike is 100% Stock, so I don't have an empty space in the air box and I also have an FZ1 fuse box in the LEFT side panel, so I can't fit it in there.

I'm thinking the only possible way to get this horn installed is to seperate it from the compressor and install them seperatedly.. but I am looking for ideas on where to mount the compressor, since the instructions claim that it needs to be installed vertically. I believe that the horn can be installed in the stock horn location, but the compressor is what is worrying me now.

If its not possible to install anywhere as is, has anyone installed the air horn on their highway bars? I dont have highway bars yet but if thats the only reasonable way to install it I will consider it.

I need help figuring out exactly how the mounting should work, I can definitely figure out the wiring part, its just that mounting that I am trying to figure out.

Thanks for your tips!

Bump! anyone able to provide assitance? I tried doing a site search for Spartacus but nothing comes up

Plenty guys have split the unit and mounted the compressor inside that LH side cover. Some have mounted the complete assembly in there.

And as you say, there's plenty room for just the horn, where the original one went.

But without that LH side space available, it's gonna be up to you!!

Have you tried using the unit with the compressor OTHER than vertical??

Plenty guys have split the unit and mounted the compressor inside that LH side cover. Some have mounted the complete assembly in there.

And as you say, there's plenty room for just the horn, where the original one went.

But without that LH side space available, it's gonna be up to you!!

Have you tried using the unit with the compressor OTHER than vertical??

Supposedly the compressor will not last as long; if not used in the vertical position. Has to be vertical for long service life.

To avoid the nuisance of installation, simply scream loudly to alert errant drivers of your proximity. Works for me.

A long time ago, I mounted my Stebel like this:

..but the bracket that I jerryrigged was not stout. I have since moved the Stebel to the lower left hand area of my Rivco engine guard.

Ricochet
I tried to send instructions for my horn install yesterday but it never went through so I will try to explain it here.
My intention was to mount the horn section behind the chrome plastic Rocket trim piece under the headlights. The compressor was to be mounted in the empty air box. The air box was empty because I installed a K&N under tank air filter obtained from FlipMeisters. This allowed me to remove the stock air filter and associated gubbins which resulted in an empty air box to be used for other things.

- I split the horn section from the compressor by cutting off the front plastic lobe. The rear lobe was left intact.
- 3/8" OD clear flexible tubing (approx. 6') was used to later reconnect the horn to the compressor. This tubing is sometimes used as air supply in fish tanks.
- A 1" length of K&S thin wall brass tubing was epoxied to a hole opened up in the top of the horn. About 1/2" of tubing was left exposed out of the top of the horn.
- After the epoxy cured, one end of the clear tubing was inserted over the brass nipple and secured with a small spring clamp.
- Next, I removed the chrome plastic Rocket trim piece below the headlights.
- As you stand in front of the bike,the clear tubing attached to the horn was routed over the left headlight mounting screw and down around behind the right headlight.
- At this point, I raised and propped up the gas tank and removed the right black plastic yoke cover and routed the tubing behind the yoke trim and back along the the frame to the air box. A hole was drilled into the air box and the tubing was inserted into the box.
- The compressor was mounted (upright) inside the air box by drilling a mounting hole in the side of the box and secured with a nut and bolt. The tubing was cut to length and connected to the compressor.
- Back at the front of the bike, The horn was centered under the headlights. This took a little finagling but it will fit. Make sure that the horn is positioned so that the chrome trim piece can be re-installed.
- When satisfied with the location of the horn, use wire zip ties to secure the remaining lobe on the horn to some metal bracketry under and behind the left headlight.
- Re-install the trim piece.
- Wire up the compressor using the relay and instructions from Stebel.

Only the top of the horn will be visible above the Rocket trim piece and not really noticeable unless you're looking for it. The sound of the horn will not be muffled as when it is located behind the side panel.
Hope this all makes sense. Good Luck!
Spartacus

Back