Stebel Air Horn

gR3yWolf

Turbocharged
Ride
'07 Classic
This time of the year is the perfect time to play with the girl, and dress her up. My first addition is the Stebel air horn.

Here’s a sound clip comparing the two horns. Click on this image to hear the comparison...can you tell which is which?
My digital camera was placed ten feet away. Maybe this will help you decide whether this modification is right for you.

A few lessons learned:
1. An empty fuel tank makes the job a whole lot easier and safer.
2. Rivco risers make the job a bit more difficult ‘cause the fuel tank front retainer won’t clear the handle bars. You just gotta’ remove the front and rear fuel tank mounting bolts, then raise the front of the tank as you slide the tank back. Reinstall the rear bolt once the front of the tank clears the bars. The tank support rod didn’t provide enough height to work under the tank, so I had to block it up.
3. Pinch off the two fuel tank vent lines to prevent fuel from leaking when you have the tank tipped.

I purchased the air horn and deluxe wiring kit from Biker Highway.com…shipping and handling $56.89.

The only horn I know of that comes with a warning

Although I bought the deluxe wiring kit, I’d recommend anyone else not to...kind of a waste of $

As you can see, it was only wire, wire ends, and a fuse holder. I paid $10 USD for what could be had for $3.00 USD at WalMart.

My first project was to modify the horn for installation. I guess there are different styles of this horn and assembly/manufacturing methods. Here are some pics of the one I ended up with.

I remembered reading from someone else’s post about separating the metal compressor from the plastic horn. It is necessary to do this if you want the horn up front where it belongs, otherwise, there’s no room for the integral unit.

Here’s how mine came apart. Really easy to do, just break/cut the little plastic assembly retainer

Pry the plastic tab on the side piece away from the body of the compressor, and slide the two pieces apart.

I used a little JB Weld (a two-part putty-type epoxy) to secure a double ended barbed union for 3/8â€Â

Very good write up and tutorial for anyone who wants to do that mod.
Yea, the Stebel was the first thing I bought for my black beast.
I figured the gay horn had to go and my safety was a priority.
Good investment, it'll sure get their attention. :lol:

Great job, the only thing I would recommend doing different is keeping the one wing that you cut off the horn (one half that holds the compressor to the horn) that functions as the air intake for the compressor and zip tie it to the compressor and adding a short hose to it and directing it inward into the bike somewhere away from the weather and dirt. That way dirt and dust will have a much harder time getting into the compressor. That's what I did but I'm an anal freak!

The bottom wing thingy with the little hole in it is what I'm talking about

Thanks! My instal is a bit different from the one posted by Geeklaw in one important aspect...

He had room under the tank to mount the compressor because of his air box mods, plus he mounted his compressor horizontally, but I chose to mount mine vertically according to the instructions.

It is an awesome mod, though.

RedRocket said:
Great job, the only thing I would recommend doing different is keeping the one wing that you cut off the horn (one half that holds the compressor to the horn) that functions as the air intake for the compressor and zip tie it to the compressor and adding a short hose to it and directing it inward into the bike somewhere away from the weather and dirt. That way dirt and dust will have a much harder time getting into the compressor. That's what I did but I'm an anal freak!

Good idea! I can still salvage your idea by simply gluing it on to the side of the compressor. I did think about the need to protect the air intake, in fact someone mentioned that in Geeklaw's install, but since the real estate under the left side cover was so clean to start with and is out of the main airstream, I didn't think dirt would be an issue. But, maybe being a bit safer now is better than being more sorry later. I'm gonna' go out there and JB Weld that thingy to the compressor.

RedRocket said:

...I just discovered that I don't have the room to add that little vent 'cause I'd have to relocate the relay, or create another bracket for the relay to make room. I'm very confident that the intake port is sufficiently protected in this area.

Back