Stebel Air Horn installation

ricochet

Rocket Captain
Ride
2012 Rocket III Roadster
Hi guys

Just for fun I checked my local kijiji and found someone in my town selling a stebel compact and full plug and play wiring harness along with some kind of L mounting bracket.

I am looking forward to installing this because I had one on my Suzuki and it was really fun. Nothin makes cars move out the way faster!

I'm trying to find out the best place to install on the Roadster. I've read that you can install in the left side cover but I already have installed a FZ1 fuse block in that space.

Is it possible to fit the whole horn up front anywhere?

Are there any options for installing the horn directly behind the radiator?

If necessary I can split the unit apart but I was wondering what methods people used to mount the compressor and the horn seperately. I can figure out the wiring easily but need help finding out how to mount the horn securely.

Thanks

Watching with interest as I fitted my cruise control under the left side cover

While my mounting method won't help you, I used the OEM spot on the R3T. I mounted it horizontally, and ran an intake hose for the air behind it. So far, it has lasted nearly 2 years lying on its side, if it dies, it is cheap enough to replace. I believe the other R3 site has some pretty good write ups on mounting the horn.

bob

I went with the electric version below, its 139dB and mounted it behind the left cover.
I can put up some installation pics if you are interested.

upload_2014-5-5_8-54-45.png

upload_2014-5-5_8-54-45.png

My bike is 100% stock so I've got the regular air box. It's a no go for the left side cover as my FZ1 Fusebox is in there.

I've already got my horn so I am not considering changing them to any other electric horn, I like the air horn a lot! :)

Are there any other suggestions for mountings? Again it would be best if it could fit somewhere behind the radiator or in the stock position. It looks like I may have to consider separating the horn into the horn and compressor so it can fit somewhere.

I separated mine and the horn went where the stock thing (can't bring myself to call it a horn) went. The problem is my compressor went under the left cover so you'll need to find a different home for it. As much as I liked the horn I had too many problems with it and ended up with a pair of FIAMM electric horns mounted to the bottom of the radiator. Every bit as loud and I actually think they sound better.

Good luck with the install. Let us know what you end up doing.

I separated mine and the horn went where the stock thing (can't bring myself to call it a horn) went. The problem is my compressor went under the left cover so you'll need to find a different home for it. As much as I liked the horn I had too many problems with it and ended up with a pair of FIAMM electric horns mounted to the bottom of the radiator. Every bit as loud and I actually think they sound better.

Good luck with the install. Let us know what you end up doing.

What kind of problems did you run into? Can you be more specific, it might help with my decision on how and where to mount. Possibly I will even have to wait till I get my highway bars on if thats easier to install on.

Splitting it might be your only option. I'd be careful about mounting it on the radiator or to any spot where vibration might fatigue anything.

Hey Guys, Sorry to bug you all again.. but I still need some help figuring out how to mount this stebel. Maybe I've screwed myself by taking up the left side cover with the FZ1 install, but thats where I need to keep it. I am willing to split the horn in half but its the compresser part that I am trying to learn where it could be mounted. I'm still fairly unfamiliar with all the internals of the bike so if anyone can recommend some other spots that could be good candidates for mounting the compressor vertically that would be good.

If its not possible, maybe I'll have to get my highway bars installed first and then mount the horn on the highway bars?

Back