Steam when riding in the rain

Olivier Delannoy

.020 Over
Ride
2015 Rocket 3 Roadster
I just completed my first long ride (100 miles) in heavy rain for about 2 hours. I was surprised to see some steam coming out of the engine when stopped at a light. The steam disappeared as soon as I got going. This is first bike I own I see doing this. I cannot spot any coolant leak though and there were no warning light such as ECL or Temperature. Is it something others have observed?

Never really looked to see if the bike had steam coming off of it in wet weather. Might just check that out next time I ride in the rain. :eek::eek::eek::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

OK assuming it is not a joke here is why you get steam, while moving the air is taking it away along with the water spray from road etc, when you stop any water that is still sitting on or runs off tank etc onto the engine and radiator creates steam. if you have a screen on your bike and you get stuck in slow moving traffic it will steam up from the steam coming from your motor which is not getting blown away anymore, does this answer your question

Last edited:
oh and 100 miles is not a long ride either, try riding in torrential rain for 6 hours then you have had a long ride in the rain, not trying to take the mickey out of you but 200km or 140 mile is a quick trip up the road for most here.
sorry if this came out wrong but I was not having a go at you just that the Rocket is a mile muncher and you should take it for a decent ride to really appreciate it

Back