Stealership for 10k service, or?

JRCollings

.040 Over
Morning all, my R3 is now due for its 10k service, I still have a year of warranty to run.

Do you think I should take it into the dealers for the 10k or just my usual place?

Opinions and reasons please - I need to decide if spending all that money by going the dealer root has any real merit / adds any real value.

Thanks! John.

Only you know your dealer's reputation. Apparently, based on your use of "stealership", you don't think too highly of them. If that's the case, take it somewhere else, or do the work yourself.

p.s. Keep in mind, the 10k service involves checking valve clearance and shimming, if necessary (yes, the Rocket uses shims) so it's not exactly a 30 minute task.

Morning all, my R3 is now due for its 10k service, I still have a year of warranty to run.

Do you think I should take it into the dealers for the 10k or just my usual place?

Opinions and reasons please - I need to decide if spending all that money by going the dealer root has any real merit / adds any real value.

Thanks! John.

If you are still under warranty.... take it to the dealership. If you have a problem down the road, and you haven't had the 10k by an authorized dealer, you could be screwed.

Once you are out of warranty.... take it where you want to.

Who is your dealer? Are you talking about Kyle at AZSBK? If so, I think he's highly competent. I don't have any experience with the GoDaddy (GOAZ) guys so I can't comment on them.

Who is your 'regular guy'? If its Eric at DP Motorsports, he's also an excellent tech and you will be fine. If I lived closer to his shop, he would do all of my work.

Hard to answer a generic question though. There are good techs at dealerships as well as at independent shops.

And yeah, as Daryl said, your use of the term 'Stealership' kind of indicates you have had a bad experience with them. That's something to take into account.

Ahh... sorry guys, perhaps my bit of smartass mislead you... I was having a dig at the hourly rates dealers in general charge with my heading.... I HAVE had some bad experiences in the past, but not with AZSB or Go Daddy - I just generally prefer to take my bike somewhere where I KNOW the person working on it - and can watch if I want to.

Eric at DPM is indeed an excellent tech and I do go to him at times - or Jeff who used to be at DPM.

I would prefer to spend my money 'with the guys that normally take care of me', but I am concerned about warranty issues if I don't go to the dealership - which kinda pisses me off in of itself.

JR,

The cost for the 10k service fluctuates greatly from dealer to stealer. I did an awful lot of research prior to having mine done. In the end, it's who you trust.

My local dealer gives regular customers a break on the hourly costs. That saves me $10-15 an hour for the more in-depth work.

I'm told that the valve adjustments at the 10k mark are hit and miss; mine didn't require adjustment per shims, but who knows.

It's gonna cost you anywhere from $150-$600 depending on where you go and how much work is needed. I paid $180 for an oil change and a "once-around" that amounted to a dealer blessing. Could've been worse.

Hope this helps.

Dan

Back