State Inspection/Front Discs

Jamie

Living Legend
Just had to take the Green Machine to the Swiss technical inspection which is compulsory here after 4 to 4 1/2 years of ownership. I had just fitted new tyres on it, given it a thorough wash and temporarily re-installed the std mufflers, hoping to go through without any fuss. The inspector decided otherwise, ruling that the front discs were worn out. And further observing that one of the front turn signals was inoperative.

Back to the dealer, then. He had to replace both the discs AND the calipers which were indeed shot :eek:... and the two front turn signals, the second one having gone south on me on the way back from the inspection.

That's roughly $650 worth of brake parts (incl. discs at a discounted price) + $150 for the turn signal assemblies + $480 for labor. The irony being that the inspection tax itself was "only" $80 :rolleyes:

Moral of the story: Watch 'em front discs. Just purging the lines and fitting new pads, as I had done 3 months ago, can be an illusory remedy.

Jamie

Jamie:

Did the inspector use a micrometer on the rotors? The 'new' thickness is: 5.0mm and the wear limit is: 4.0mm measured within the swept area of the disc. If he didn't, what I'd do is check it myself. If it is more than 4.0mm in the swept area, I'd go back with a micrometer and have him do it again. I'd repair the turn signal first.:eek:

Additionally, 1mm of wear in the swept area will be easily felt with your fingernail. There will be a pronounced ridge between the swept area and the unswept area of the disc.

Last edited:
Jamie:

If he didn't, what I'd do is check it myself. If it is more than 4.0mm in the swept area, I'd go back with a micrometer and have him do it again. I'd repair the turn signal first.:eek:

Additionally, 1mm of wear in the swept area will be easily felt with your fingernail. There will be a pronounced ridge between the swept area and the unswept area of the disc.

Flip,

The inspector's verdict was only based on a visual appraisal, prompted by too much slack in the brake lever. Sadly enough, the dealer later confirmed that the discs had thinned below the wear limit.

In any case, you'd not want to argue with a Swiss inspector:D. He could have nailed me for other things (non road-homologated horn and headlamps, for instance)

Best. Jamie

Jamie...

If you have too much free travel in the lever (or the brake pedal for the rear disc), it's not the wearing of the disc surface (though they may, indeed, be worn to the wear limit). Disc brakes are self adjusting by the way of the piston seals in the calipers.

The friction of the seals holds the pistons and the pads a scant distance off the rotor and keeps that distance as the pads wear. As the master cylinder is cycled, the brake fluid takes up the additional space in the piston chamber, so the level travel remains constant. Expanding shoe systems work in a similar fashion with an automatic adjuster to take up the slack.

If, your lever had/has excessive travel, tha only adjustment for that is the static adjustment at the base of the lever in the form of a screw and locknut to set the static lever travel. I believe the R3 has that adjustment, my T100 does as well as my KLR. I don't have the R3 here to look at it.

I guess what I'm saying is, next time (after you spend all this money for new brake parts), check the static travel of the lever and adjust accordingly.

Looking at the shop manual, there is definitely an adjustment in the clevis for the rear piston travel. I can't ascertain if, indeed, there is one for the front.

Hey Jamie...

Are the inspectors Government employees? I do MVI's (Missouri Vehicle Inspections) but I am slave labor for the state of Missouri. I am actually an employee of the dealership who must answer to the Highway Patrol in such matters. I believe that Gov't inspectors can (and do) make your life a living hell. On the other hand, Missouri actually has kept stats on failures and expects all the inspector mechanics to fall within a certain range as they inspect vehicles. Never failing anyone will get you audited, and failing everyone will set you up for a sting or at least an "Official" visit. :eek:

Back