Starting to have some hip pain issues

Eric R.

Supercharged
Ride
2015 Rocket 3 Touring
Hi guys, I have a 2015 r3t that I bought new. I am 59 years old, and have been riding for many years.
I have noticed lately that I am having issues with my lower hips while riding and moving my legs around on the bike. I really think that I can blame it on the super wide tank that my bike has because it forces me to keep my legs further apart which I think is causing the problem.
I’m thinking about adding an Airhawk pad for a little more comfort and height. I feel like the higher that I can get takes the pressure off of my lower hip joints which is where the problem is. For example, if I take my feet off of the boards, and hang my legs down the pain is gone.
I’m sure that I’m not the only one that has this issue with this bike.
Sometimes I wonder if I would’ve been better off with a Roadster because I see that the beginning section of the gas tank is narrow and I bet that would have made it better for me.
Although I think trading this bike for a Roadster because of the pain would be kind of an extreme course to take. Not to mention my wife would probably kill me.
Any suggestions would be very welcome to hear.
Thanks Eric

Eric, Your idea of the tank may indeed be the reason or at least one factor in the equation. I do think the Airhawk will give you 2 inches or so height and that may help.

Do you have a backrest on your seat? If not, that too may be of benefit. I installed one this spring and it has helped both my back and hip comfort quite well by forcing me into better posture.

If you are able to, maybe some exercise will help as well just to keep you limber. Squats, stairs, yoga and stuff like that.

I hope you figure it out brother.

Of note, and not necessarily a factor, for comfort Airhawk recommends only inflating enough to give you about 1/2" of cushion. Certainly they can be inflated more, but more air = less comfort/harder

Bummer, I know the feeling, VERY well. Soon to be 70 years old, and severe rheumatoid arthritis. I guess I no longer have any cartilage left in my hip joints, as just carrying the garbage can out to the street and walking back, is quite painful. I'm still riding my Roadsters, but occasionally have to try to stretch a leg out as straight as I can, to try to get rid of the cramping feeling. Sometimes just have to stop, and get off. I'm taking 10mg of prednisone every day. Have tried arthritis drugs, but they are terrible on your system. Never ridden a touring, so I dunno if it's worse or not. Hope you find a solution, and share. In my case, and age, it's just down hill from here.:(:(:(:(:(:(

I had purchased the long-haul seat And had to sell it because it pushed me forward which is the last thing that I need. So the back rest would not have helped in that case.
I have the Kuryakyn Long horn pegs on my engine bars and they do help but when the pain sets in, It is difficult for me to pick up my leg and put it onto the forward peg.
I really believe it’s the wide gas tank causing the issue. I think the cheapest thing to try is the seat pad so I can get a little more height and change the angle of my thighs. A downward angle for my thighs is what would help the most

You might consider some physical therapy. I went in for an unrelated problem and mentioned similar hip pain while there. They gave me a couple of exercises that have significantly lessened the pain.

Of course selling the R3T may have been a factor.

I hate to be the one that points out the obvious but you are at 6 decades of life and things happen. I have stenosis so bad in my spine (top to bottom) that my legs and hip constantly hurt. The one thing that makes me feel a little better (other than handfuls of NSAIDs) is riding. It forces me to reach forward and to decompress my spine a bit. The suggestion for PT is a good one, excellent in fact. As we age we lose flexibility and the ability to stretch out those tired old muscles and ligaments. If reasonable go see you doc and ask for a referral to PT. Tell them what you want and they will tailor some stretching exercises for you.

bob

At 71 I have the same problem with hip pain riding my non-touring Classic model. I have highway pegs but have never felt comfortable or in control when using them. They do provide some brief temporary relief. Sounds weird but turning my feet outwards with my boot heels on the floorboards and spreading my legs away from the tank for several minutes provides longer term relief.......probably looks strange though. :rolleyes: A couple shots of whiskey after a 5 or 6 hour ride makes it all better too. :thumbsup:

Back