Starting issue

Cameo

.020 Over
Ride
2006 Rocket III
I own a 2006 R3, I'm having problem starting when cold, the owner of my local Triumph Dealer told me that I might just need a valve job.
My bike has 60 000 miles on it, I'm a recent owner of this bike but In all the paper work the previous owner gave me I'm not seeing a valve job.
Is this something common, what is a valve job and is this something expensive and worth it?

Thanks

What exactly do you mean by 'trouble starting '?...slow to crank? Won't turn over? Turns over fine but takes ages to fire up? Starts then quits? Blah blah blah.....

What exactly do you mean by 'trouble starting '?...slow to crank? Won't turn over? Turns over fine but takes ages to fire up? Starts then quits? Blah blah blah.....
That's exactly it : Turns over fine but takes ages to fire up.
it almost feels like it takes a while for the gas to get there and fire up

It's a valve adjustments measuring and replacing shims. 20k is usually the interval they do this.

That's exactly it : Turns over fine but takes ages to fire up.
it almost feels like it takes a while for the gas to get there and fire up
@Cameo, this could be a few different things that you can trouble shoot before removing the head and having a complete value job done. (That entails replacing the valves and valve guides beside a through cleaning. Other machine work may be needed).

Always remember fire, fuel and air. It turns over fine so it is not the battery or the starter. It is most likely getting enough air but check your filters just in case and ensure they are not dirty.

Now to fire; are your plugs in good shape? Fouled plugs may cause the engine to be slow to start and as they foul further will cause the engine to be sluggish. If they are bad, this will help determine what else is wrong.

Now to fuel. Are the injectors dirty? Ethanol causes a lot of fueling problems and should be treated ever so often to help clean the fuel system. I use a general injector cleaner at least every 3-4 fill ups which for me is several times a month. This is will also help clean the combustion chamber as well and get rid of carbon deposits.

I am possibly forgetting other techniques but these are good to start with. Good luck!

What tune are you running? In 2007 my 06 had a tune recall as with all the others. Easy recall as it was just a ecu flash and a ISCV reset. It could be as simple as that. Since it was official Triumph ought to be able to look up whether its been done or not. Or he could just reflash it (which would ne quicker and probably easier)

Do you have tuning software and a cable? If its the original Primary TPS it might need a new one or atleast adjusted. My bet is a new one is in order. I agree with boog there are other things to check. In all my limited Rocket years and knowledge I have never heard of any needing a valve job . Unless the broke a valve which usually was from a broken crank, broken cam chain guide. Or cam chain tensioner failure. So I to would look at otber things first.

I know its new two you but has or does the bike look like its had any modifications? Things like added triple air filters verses the filter under the seat and air ducting under the tank?

just a couple of things.
a compression check would tell u if u need a valve job. although u probably need the valves adjusted but i would solve your prob first.
the vacuum lines from the throttle bodies to map sensor might need to be changed (same length for all three) also check the rubber below the throttle bodies some have had cracks.

@Cameo, this could be a few different things that you can trouble shoot before removing the head and having a complete value job done. (That entails replacing the valves and valve guides beside a through cleaning. Other machine work may be needed).

Always remember fire, fuel and air. It turns over fine so it is not the battery or the starter. It is most likely getting enough air but check your filters just in case and ensure they are not dirty.

Now to fire; are your plugs in good shape? Fouled plugs may cause the engine to be slow to start and as they foul further will cause the engine to be sluggish. If they are bad, this will help determine what else is wrong.

Now to fuel. Are the injectors dirty? Ethanol causes a lot of fueling problems and should be treated ever so often to help clean the fuel system. I use a general injector cleaner at least every 3-4 fill ups which for me is several times a month. This is will also help clean the combustion chamber as well and get rid of carbon deposits.

I am possibly forgetting other techniques but these are good to start with. Good luck!
Thanks for your advice, I will look into it this weekend

What tune are you running? In 2007 my 06 had a tune recall as with all the others. Easy recall as it was just a ecu flash and a ISCV reset. It could be as simple as that. Since it was official Triumph ought to be able to look up whether its been done or not. Or he could just reflash it (which would ne quicker and probably easier)

Do you have tuning software and a cable? If its the original Primary TPS it might need a new one or atleast adjusted. My bet is a new one is in order. I agree with boog there are other things to check. In all my limited Rocket years and knowledge I have never heard of any needing a valve job . Unless the broke a valve which usually was from a broken crank, broken cam chain guide. Or cam chain tensioner failure. So I to would look at otber things first.

I know its new two you but has or does the bike look like its had any modifications? Things like added triple air filters verses the filter under the seat and air ducting under the tank?
What tune am I running? I don't even know what that means, I know the bike is original if you don't take into account the stupid cow bell the previous owner put on it (don't worry I ripped it out)

just a couple of things.
a compression check would tell u if u need a valve job. although u probably need the valves adjusted but i would solve your prob first.
the vacuum lines from the throttle bodies to map sensor might need to be changed (same length for all three) also check the rubber below the throttle bodies some have had cracks.
Thanks for your advice, I will inspect all of this this weekend.
I know its stupid, but it almost feels like the "choke" doesn't do its job, like on my snowblower.

Back