Starting and tuning R3 after 3 years of storage

JAM

Standard Bore
Ride
Rocket III Classic
Hello. New to the R3 Owners group, though I have had my 2006 Classic for a few years now (Cherry and New England White, 3200 mi). Made a mistake: left bike stored much longer than I ever imagined, 3 years, and with fuel still in the tank. So...where do I start in getting her going again? Not an expert in small engines, though I do most of my own work when I can. Any help/suggestions are appreciated.

Hello. New to the R3 Owners group, though I have had my 2006 Classic for a few years now (Cherry and New England White, 3200 mi). Made a mistake: left bike stored much longer than I ever imagined, 3 years, and with fuel still in the tank. So...where do I start in getting her going again? Not an expert in small engines, though I do most of my own work when I can. Any help/suggestions are appreciated.
Howdy JAM! Welcome from East Texas :D

Well, at least it ain't that! :D

Drain that tank!!!!! change fuel filter while you got tank off
Fill up with fresh gas & some stabilizer additive

Hello East Texas! Thanks much. Should I be concerned about anything beyond the fuel tank?

DO U STILL HAVE GAS IN THE TANK OR IS IT DRIED UP SOrry caps
new battery. a can of starting fluid to give it a couple of shots. u might want to change oil. and go from there.

I'm sure the battery is toast... I have trouble keeping mine at 12 volts without a tender on it for any length of time... I add a little seafoam to my gas every other fill-up to help keep the fuel injection clean. There are plenty of cleaning agents out there i like the seafoam.

Last edited:
Hey Jam . Welcome to the best place on the interweb !
All of the above and ensure no little critters have made the air box their home ? I would be inclined to change the engine oil and coolant also once she fired up !
A running engine turned off and left for a while , is generally better than an engine that's been fired up for 10 mins every week . Good luck and welcome back to that grin ! :thumbsup:

Make sure the clutch friction plates have not glued themselves to the steel plates.
You can test before attempting to start by putting in first gear, pull in clutch and see if she free wheels.

And definitely change the oil and probably coolant.

Back