captain jack

Turbocharged
Has anyone had problems with the starter motor?. Iv'e had a few occasions when the bike wouldn't start but I could hear what I thought was the starter rely (solenoid) but the engine wont turn over. Today I realised that the noise is the starter trying to turn but cannot. by rolling the bike in 3rd gear it started first time. The dealer tells me that it is in constant mesh and suggests a possible pitting of the commutator or bad brushes, however a new motor is over £500, but he has had one reconditioned before for around £80-100. Not sure what to do now, fault finding is ****ed expensive & I don't want to buy a motor if its not needed.
cheers guys

search for the thread about inexpensive starter replacement.

You can replace your starter with one from a Toyota Solara. Find the thread for the details. It's a Denso 1.4 kw model.

Never mind the search. Here it is:

Make sure that you read the entire thread!!!

Has anyone had problems with the starter motor?. Iv'e had a few occasions when the bike wouldn't start but I could hear what I thought was the starter rely (solenoid) but the engine wont turn over. Today I realised that the noise is the starter trying to turn but cannot. by rolling the bike in 3rd gear it started first time. The dealer tells me that it is in constant mesh and suggests a possible pitting of the commutator or bad brushes, however a new motor is over £500, but he has had one reconditioned before for around £80-100. Not sure what to do now, fault finding is ****ed expensive & I don't want to buy a motor if its not needed.
cheers guys

the starter does disengage. the relay engages the starter solenoid after the eng. starts and you release the starter button on the bars then the relay turns off the solenoid and the gear retracts.
if it stays on with engine running it will explode in about 5 minutes. well that's about how long it took for a ford starter to explode.
herman

cheers guys

I just posted a problem in Common Issues - might be a battery, gears, or starter issue.

I just posted a problem in Common Issues - might be a battery, gears, or starter issue.
I just replied you should read it and try it also Jack. When I did my head light relay mod I disturbrbed the cable harness going into the ignition switch now my head lights cut off at 5 psi boost or higher. They must have been going out and I helped them by disturbing the harness.

Jack the starter pulls easy to see if the bendix is stuck out word. you can test it in a vice withe a bartery and 2x4 piece of lumber. Or take it to a auto parts store and have them check it on their machine. pull easy you do not even have to jack the bike up if you do not want to.

search for the thread about inexpensive starter replacement.

You can replace your starter with one from a Toyota Solara. Find the thread for the details. It's a Denso 1.4 kw model.

Never mind the search. Here it is:

Make sure that you read the entire thread!!!

With a lot of help and advice from here and the .com site (thanks yet again tdragger) I replaced mine with the starter mentioned above. It took a matter of minutes and made a world of difference. I new starter relay would be a good idea too.

they make an amp gauge to check current draw on the starter. it usually takes about 1 amp per cubic inch. i put my gauge on the top of pos. bat. post and cranked it over and it read 150 to 200. i would think that 300 up would be bad. i left my lights on and my batt. ran down. jumpered it for twenty minutes still won't start got a batt. from wallmart still won't start. charged it with jumppers to car for 30 minutes finally started.
herman

I just replied you should read it and try it also Jack. When I did my head light relay mod I disturbrbed the cable harness going into the ignition switch now my head lights cut off at 5 psi boost or higher. They must have been going out and I helped them by disturbing the harness.

Jack the starter pulls easy to see if the bendix is stuck out word. you can test it in a vice withe a bartery and 2x4 piece of lumber. Or take it to a auto parts store and have them check it on their machine. pull easy you do not even have to jack the bike up if you do not want to.

Thanks Warp, u da man.

Thanks guys a lot of good info there for me to check out. I thought the Bendex would disengage & it certainly sounds like its hitting the flywheel but not engaging, when it does start it fires into life, I don't think it's a battery problem. The alternate motor sounds good but I can't locate a supplier in UK, when needed a recondition looks looks the easiest option unless anyone knows of a supplier over here.

Back