Starter drive / bendix

Gerald

Turbocharged
Ride
05 Rocket III
Has anyone replaced the starter drive, and if so, where did you purchase it, and part number if you have it. Thanks

My drive has been solid for 75K miles now, no need to replace it yet.

with the rebuild kit off ebay for like 20 bucks you get a new plunger that will allow you to put your gear on the new bigger starter that has a different gear.

with the rebuild kit off ebay for like 20 bucks you get a new plunger that will allow you to put your gear on the new bigger starter that has a different gear.
I bought the repair kit some time ago, but this just repairs the solenoid. Starter drive is a separate unit that turns ring gear pressed on alternator rotor. Will take the drive by a parts house tomorrow and see if they can match it. If not will try rebuild shop and see if they can supply it. Thanks everyone for the input.

i took the drive off my old starter and put on the new starter. can you not do this on the starter you bought, take off that whole head unit and replace,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 21
i took the drive off my old starter and put on the new starter. can you not do this on the starter you bought, take off that whole head unit and replace,
I did the same thing, what you have in picture is the gear that came on new starter that had to be replaced withdrive from original starter. The original drive is showing some wear due to meshing with starter ring when starting. I took starter ring off rotor and turned it over.

Last edited:
Back