Starter button R3T

Eric R.

Supercharged
Ride
2015 Rocket 3 Touring
Hi guys. I have a quick question about my starter button on my 15 R3T. I notice occasionally that I find myself having to push kind of hard and keep pressure on the button in order to start the bike. Does this sound like a corrosion issue, or is there something in there that has maybe worn out? Does pushing firmly even mean there is a problem?
I looked through some old posts. A lot of them are about a clicking sound. I’m not getting this on mine. It just seems like a contact issue.
I really never wash the bike so I wouldn’t think it would be corroded inside.
Sometimes I get a little spooked that it won’t start. But it always does.
Thanks for any tips, Eric

Last edited:
Did you buy bike new? Very well could be corrosion easy enough to look in switch cube, but a cable could be loose, do some good inspection before it bites ya. Do you always give it time to cycle never pushing button b4 its ready sometimes i do. but not normal anyway to answer your questio.

Hi Eric, I think it could be corrosion despite what you said about it. My 2014 R3T has 74K miles and a lot of rain. I do not have this issue on mine but, I did have the entire left switch assembly replaced due to corrosion while the bike was still under warranty. Since then, I have opened the assemblies and cleaned them with electrical cleaner and lube with dielectric grease. Each time I find some corrosion on some metal piece. Just clean it off and grease again.

Back