Standard Bars Versus Classic

JohnnyCanuck

Supercharged
Gentlemen,

The guy who I bought my 2008 standard R3 from added footboards and the cruiser seat. With those 2 add-ons, my understanding is that the only difference between my standard bike and a classic is the pull back bars.

I'm 5'11" and about 170 lbs. I've only ridden the bike once due to buying in the off-season - from the guys house to my place so don't have a true feel for her yet. However, I felt I had to sit pretty upright to feel comfortable with the current placement of the bars. I'm used to a more laid back and relaxed cruiser position from my last bike where I'm almost at the back of my seat.

Question is this: What can anyone tell me about the difference in feel between the standard bars versus the pulled back classic bars. Is there much of a difference b/w the two? I'm going to ride for a while with the bars I have to make sure what I felt wasn't just getting used to the bike but just thinking ahead as to whether I should be ordering the classic bars. As always, thanks in advance.

Another one with a locked away, unridden bike! I don't know how you can stand it. I'd be climbing the walls (which you probably are anyway...).

I've ridden a few Classics and have to say I don't like the pull back bars at all, but then again, I like the riding position on a V-Rod, M09s or FatBob. A number on this site have put risers on their stands (HellFire for one) and swear by them. I'm sure one of them will comment.

Bottom line is that we are all different with different likes and physical and chyropractic needs. I suggest you see if you can find a Classic to ride (bike shop, friend, whatever) and see what you think.

Gentlemen,

The guy who I bought my 2008 standard R3 from added footboards and the cruiser seat. With those 2 add-ons, my understanding is that the only difference between my standard bike and a classic is the pull back bars.

I'm 5'11" and about 170 lbs. I've only ridden the bike once due to buying in the off-season - from the guys house to my place so don't have a true feel for her yet. However, I felt I had to sit pretty upright to feel comfortable with the current placement of the bars. I'm used to a more laid back and relaxed cruiser position from my last bike where I'm almost at the back of my seat.

Question is this: What can anyone tell me about the difference in feel between the standard bars versus the pulled back classic bars. Is there much of a difference b/w the two? I'm going to ride for a while with the bars I have to make sure what I felt wasn't just getting used to the bike but just thinking ahead as to whether I should be ordering the classic bars. As always, thanks in advance.
Did he put on Triumph boards? or those little goofy aftermarket things that bolt in place of the pegs?
Rivco Risers will raise the bars 2" and back 1". They helped with my neck problems. The Triumph boards allow for alot more foot placement than the rivco replacements.

Did he put on Triumph boards? or those little goofy aftermarket things that bolt in place of the pegs?
Rivco Risers will raise the bars 2" and back 1". They helped with my neck problems. The Triumph boards allow for alot more foot placement than the rivco replacements.

+1 on that plus the Triumph boards have better vibration dampening.

I might take you up on that offer Saboteur after I get a couple of rides in and get a better feel for the current setup. Sound advice CanberraR3.

The guy I bought it from had the proper Triumph boards installed. Those boards will probably be my next thread. I'm used to pegs and am not sure if I'm a fan of the heel shifter. I'm sure there's people on both sides of the fence depending on personal preference. Once again - I'll get a few rides in and see if they grow on me. Until then - I live vicariously through this forum.

bars

I didnt like either the standard or the classic bars so i found some to fit me at metric cruiser customs here in brisbane australia and they r world apart from the standard bars much more comfortable i feel more in control and i think they look a hell of a lot better 2 also i have my electrics internaly run through my bars to give it a cleaner look
but i did have to change my brake lines also so they would reach so while i was at it i got two lines one for each calliper rather than the standard and rather ugly 1 into 2 lines . the lines are made by a company called Hel and the bars are HighwayHawk 55-205 Fat custom $250 Australian for the bars :cool:

Last edited:
I've got harley Road King bars on mine,
any 1" bars you like will fit.
With my 6" riser and the road king bars,
it fits me just about right.
My risers are 6" up and 4" back by the way.
of course, I only had to raise it 6"
to clear my new modified tank...
The point is, any 1" bars you're comfortable with will work....

I might take you up on that offer Saboteur after I get a couple of rides in and get a better feel for the current setup. Sound advice CanberraR3.

The guy I bought it from had the proper Triumph boards installed. Those boards will probably be my next thread. I'm used to pegs and am not sure if I'm a fan of the heel shifter. I'm sure there's people on both sides of the fence depending on personal preference. Once again - I'll get a few rides in and see if they grow on me. Until then - I live vicariously through this forum.
It took me a little while to get used to not having the pegs center my boot for me, but after awhile it's become so much more comfortable being able to move around. Give it a chance, you might like them. As far as the shifter goes, you don't have to use the heal if you don't want to, just adjust the front up to clear you toe and shift like you always have in the past. I ended up adjusting it back after using the heel on and off ... I like the heel shifter even better now.
+1 on the vibration damping from the Triumph boards. I didn't really get the way the pad sits up off the metal at first, but it's plain to me now that it makes for a very smooth ride that way.

And about the Rivco risers ... I absolutely LOVE them. They work excellent on the Standards and Classics. Some of the Touring owners don't like the movement due to their rubber mounts, but Standards and Classics don't have them.
I was having serious neck and shoulder issues due to an injury, and the factory set up was causing me pain. Moving the bars up and back with the risers fixed my problem and it's been working great. They allowed me to rotate the bars down as far as I could without touching the tank, and the extra rise puts them right where I need them.
The risers do put the cables and brake line at the limit, any more and they would have to be replaced with longer stuff.

Should you decide you don't want the boards, you could arrange to swap with someone or I have a complete set of everything needed to switch back to pegs I might be persuaded to part with.

Back