Stalling when starting warm

ChrisACT

Supercharged
Ride
2006 Rocket III Special Edition
I had an issue with my Rocket today that I'd not experienced before.

When I started it cold, it was fine. Ran perfect. Rode it about 50kms and shut it down. Walked around for a couple of hours then got back on the bike, started it and rode it another 50kms or so. So far, no issue.

Went into a store for 10 minutes then came back out, started the bike and it would not idle. As soon as I let go of the throttle, it would stall. Couldn't get it to idle without holding the throttle up a bit.

When riding at low throttle, it would stumble and run rough. Open the throttle more and it would clear it's throat and go hard.

Waited a few hours for it to cool down and started it again. No problem.

So it seems I'm only having this issue when starting the bike while it's still warm.

Has anyone had this kind of issue before. Do you know what the problem is likely to be?

Clean the springs and linkage on the throttle bodies and the stepper motore shaft (especially under the stepper motors rubber boot) Run a ISCV CHECK/RESET and reset the adaptives. Oh and yours is older have you ever changed the map in the ecu or get a recall so triumph ould reflash it? I think that was in 2007 they did the reflash/map change because of idle issues.

Clean the springs and linkage on the throttle bodies and the stepper motore shaft (especially under the stepper motors rubber boot) Run a ISCV CHECK/RESET and reset the adaptives. Oh and yours is older have you ever changed the map in the ecu or get a recall so triumph ould reflash it? I think that was in 2007 they did the reflash/map change because of idle issues.

Yes, I'm running a HansO tune with Ramair, triple Mad Dog pipes and Staintune cross over pipe.

The bike had been running fine since I put that tune in it. Just today it started playing up.

I'll try the stuff you mentioned and see how I go.

Thanks.

In my experience, it could also be the TPS...especially if it only plays up when hot. Once I replaced it on mine, all my idling issues went away. I has similar symptoms where it would idle erratically once hot.

I've reloaded the tune, reset adaptives and it does seem to be better ... although I also put a new tank of fuel in it as well.

I noticed that the TuneECU daignostics say that my throttle is at 0.7V when at the lowest point and 4V at full throttle.

It's supposed to be 0.62V at no throttle, isn't it?

I wonder if that needs a little adjustment.

I've ordered another TPS anyway. It'll die one day.

So I installed the new TPS yesterday.

But it's not behaving at all.

I reset adaptations.

I start the ISCV reset. Set it to 0.60V with the TPS adjustment. Then set it to 0.72V with the stepper motor adjustment. Wait for the 15 seconds without touching anything and it then says it's all happy.

All good. Bike starts right up and I do the 12 minute tune.

Everything seems fine.

Stop the bike and restart it and it idles at nearly 3,000RPM.

So I stop it and start the ISCV reset again and the TPS has moved to 0.5V instead of 0.6V. So I reset it to 0.6V ... the whole thing all over again.

12 minute tune again. All seems fine.

Stop and restart, idles at 3.000RPM again.

What the hell is going on? I'm doing the TPS up pretty tight so it really shouldn't be moving.

Also setting the voltages on the TPS are really fidly. Even when I set it to 0.6V, if I move the throttle and let it rest again, it mostly settles back to 0.6V but sometimes it can be 0.05V either way. Seems a bit too much of a margin to me.

I'm wondering if I've wrecked the TPS while installing it.

I've ordered another one just in case.

Are there any do's and don'ts when it comes to installing these things to ensure a reliable TPS?

Last edited:
I have a question or two mostly just confusion in your writing. Assuming you tilted the tos as the manual shows when you installed it. You then double click ISCV reset it retracks the stepper motor you can watch this via voltage or place your finger on the stepper motor shaft and feel it retract. Once it has retracted you set the tps voltage to .6 volts +/- .02 volts. Then you doubled clicked again the stepper motor moved and you looking for a .12 voltage increase over you initial tps setting +/- .05 volts if it does not then you adjust the 7mm nut on the end of the stepper motor shaft. Until you reach the proper voltage. Ie .6 +.12 =.72 again +/-.05 volts. Once this is done you double clicked the ISCV reset again and it did it internal compensation for about 15 seconds. Then you double clicked reset adaptives. And lastly cycled the bike ignition of for say 5 seconds and turned it back on before you even tried to fire the bike up? Is this what you did?

Also to make sure the stepper motor is not fighting any linkages or stuff you checked and verified bothe throttle cables have the correct 2 to 3 mm freeplay. Pull cable at the hand grip and most important like the manual shows the return cable down at the throttle wheel?

Last edited:
So I installed the new TPS yesterday.

But it's not behaving at all.

I reset adaptations.

I start the ISCV reset. Set it to 0.60V with the TPS adjustment. Then set it to 0.72V with the stepper motor adjustment. Wait for the 15 seconds without touching anything and it then says it's all happy.

All good. Bike starts right up and I do the 12 minute tune.

Everything seems fine.

Stop the bike and restart it and it idles at nearly 3,000RPM.

So I stop it and start the ISCV reset again and the TPS has moved to 0.5V instead of 0.6V. So I reset it to 0.6V ... the whole thing all over again.

12 minute tune again. All seems fine.

Stop and restart, idles at 3.000RPM again.

What the hell is going on? I'm doing the TPS up pretty tight so it really shouldn't be moving.

Also setting the voltages on the TPS are really fidly. Even when I set it to 0.6V, if I move the throttle and let it rest again, it mostly settles back to 0.6V but sometimes it can be 0.05V either way. Seems a bit too much of a margin to me.

I'm wondering if I've wrecked the TPS while installing it.

I've ordered another one just in case.

Are there any do's and don'ts when it comes to installing these things to ensure a reliable TPS?

Recheck TPS after tightening it. Another words, do ISCV twice to make sure TPS is the same. Mine was changing.

Back