Not likely to be swing arm bearings as they are roller bearings, unless one or both got water in behind the seal and rusted. You don't clean the bike with a pressure washer do you :eek:

Not likely to be swing arm bearings as they are roller bearings, unless one or both got water in behind the seal and rusted. You don't clean the bike with a pressure washer do you :eek:
I don't clean the bike nearly as much as I should, and never with a pressure washer. I just rolled over 30,000 miles and have started noticing this squeak, especially when stopping or going over rough roads. What else could it be if not the swing arm bearings?

About all you can do is look for anything rubbing. After that I would look at the swing arm bearings. I suppose if the final drive splines were really dry they might squeak ?

About all you can do is look for anything rubbing. After that I would look at the swing arm bearings. I suppose if the final drive splines were really dry they might squeak ?
I remove the bevel box and grease the splines every 5,000 miles / 6 months, so i doubt it's that. Maybe at the drive end? I'm betting it's the bearings, unless something's rubbing that I haven't seen. Oh well, doesn't seem to critical, I'll dig into it when I change my tire next.

I remove the bevel box and grease the splines every 5,000 miles / 6 months, so i doubt it's that. Maybe at the drive end? I'm betting it's the bearings, unless something's rubbing that I haven't seen. Oh well, doesn't seem to critical, I'll dig into it when I change my tire next.

The drive end splines don't really slide. The spring in the back holds the drive shaft forward.

Not likely to be swing arm bearings as they are roller bearings, unless one or both got water in behind the seal and rusted.
If the bearing seals have dried out - Squeak city. I'd take a look at the bearing pivots/seals and unless the bearings feel notchy whack them full of good Low Temp grease.

Back