Spring has Sprung and I went riding (Video)

Claviger

Aspiring Student
Ride
'21 Z H2, '14 R3R, '02 Daytona 955i
So today was the first time I've gone out with only one thing in mind, fun on the bike, instead of commuting on it. Also the first time I've had it out with the new found power on a longer ride playing in the twisties. Also, I don't know these roads for **** so am riding at about 6 or 7/10.

Couple of lessons learned:
  • Use multiple GoPros.
  • Remove the pinlock insert when it's sunny. It was playing hell with my vision in bright sun trying to look into shaded corners ahead of me.
  • 50f still requires more than a jacket and jeans, was cold all day long.
  • Carpenter 265 kit is more than enough power to induce headshake and instability at full throttle across bumpy roads.
  • Don't tap the shifter on accident without using enough pressure to engage the next gear.... resulted in a false neutral (it's in the video).
  • I got phenomenal mileage for the way I was riding!

Last edited:
So today was the first time I've gone out with only one thing in mind, fun on the bike, instead of commuting on it. Also the first time I've had it out with the new found power on a longer ride playing in the twisties. Also, I don't know these roads for **** so am riding at about 6 or 7/10.

Couple of lessons learned:
  • Use multiple GoPros.
  • Remove the pinlock insert when it's sunny. It was playing hell with my vision in bright sun trying to look into shaded corners ahead of me.
  • 50f still requires more than a jacket and jeans, was cold all day long.
  • Carpenter 265 kit is more than enough power to induce headshake and instability at full throttle across bumpy roads.
  • Don't tap the shifter on accident without using enough pressure to engage the next gear.... resulted in a false neutral (it's in the video).
  • I got phenomenal mileage for the way I was riding!

Hey Rob!
Why did you make the vid "unavailable to me"??? :eek:
No love . . . :(
Dan & I got mine back together this evening.
Those new lights are bright!!!

Video is fixed and working, still processing at the you of tubes though.

Last edited:
Couple of lessons learned: Remove the pinlock insert when it's sunny. It was playing hell with my vision in bright sun trying to look into shaded corners ahead of me.
It is really key to mount Pinlocks with care (I am reluctant to say properly as I've seen nothing that says how to) - I use Pinlocks all year (and usually Sun is not something we are short on).

I now use a Photochromatic one, which really is the dogs-bollox. Not DARK but face feels cooler in strong sun.

BUT I know exactly of what you speak. And it is usually a question of "fit" differences in individual visors and pinlock shields can cause dis-torsion.
And yes it is annoying - totally. It affects 3D vision.

Q) Do you have the "old" 1-pce plastic pins or the newer 3 part screw in ones? - I would replace them - They're not expensive to buy.

The new ones help greatly. I replaced the push-in pins with the 3-pce and it allows you to get the shield tension just so. Not enough and moisture will get past the seal - too much and the plastic distorts. I took some time recently to understand how it all works - took everything off and carefully cleaned it all. Can't really explain - but I know you'll see it if you just sit there and look.

Used a bit of plexus on the inside of the visor too. I think this allowed the silicone seal to slip a tiny bit and to not grip as hard initially. Noted that the shield did need readjusting once the visor was attached to the lid. This meant gently releasing the seal using fingertips and the plexus certainly allowed the shield to sort of pop into position. Since then - absolutely faultless vision.

Edited - Oh yes - And 50°F at 80mph feels like just under 38°F.
That will chill the access roads to ones crown jewels real quick. Inner thighs and bottom. Will also chill neck and shoulders.

Last edited:
It is really key to mount Pinlocks with care (I am reluctant to say properly as I've seen nothing that says how to) - I use Pinlocks all year (and usually Sun is not something we are short on).

I now use a Photochromatic one, which really is the dogs-bollox. Not DARK but face feels cooler in strong sun.

BUT I know exactly of what you speak. And it is usually a question of "fit" differences in individual visors and pinlock shields can cause dis-torsion.
And yes it is annoying - totally. It affects 3D vision.

Q) Do you have the "old" 1-pce plastic pins or the newer 3 part screw in ones? - I would replace them - They're not expensive to buy.

The new ones help greatly. I replaced the push-in pins with the 3-pce and it allows you to get the shield tension just so. Not enough and moisture will get past the seal - too much and the plastic distorts. I took some time recently to understand how it all works - took everything off and carefully cleaned it all. Can't really explain - but I know you'll see it if you just sit there and look.

Used a bit of plexus on the inside of the visor too. I think this allowed the silicone seal to slip a tiny bit and to not grip as hard initially. Noted that the shield did need readjusting once the visor was attached to the lid. This meant gently releasing the seal using fingertips and the plexus certainly allowed the shield to sort of pop into position. Since then - absolutely faultless vision.

Edited - Oh yes - And 50°F at 80mph feels like just under 38°F.
That will chill the access roads to ones crown jewels real quick. Inner thighs and bottom. Will also chill neck and shoulders.

I'm buying a new helmet this year. I love everything about my Nexx except the visor, just, totally lets it down. Probably just going to buy a Signet-Q and be done with it.

Yes Sir 50f can freeze your boys off if not dressed correctly:D is that the pod300 on your left hand side? was thinking of getting one
Your exhaust did not sound like the sidewinder(or my ears might need cleaning) sounded more tame?
Now for something completely different---what place did you use to ceramic coat your pipes a while age? how much was it and how are they holding up?
Thanks for the video always nice to watch others in action .
(kind of you to pick up a hitch hiker at around the 14min mark)

Last edited:
Exactly why I don't waste my time with cameras.... wind noise and bugs.

Mexican had the same thing happen to him on at ride at Maggie Valley. Bug stuck right smack in the middle. :D

Back