Spongey Front Brake Lever

Spongey Front Brake Lever??

• Does Your Rocket Suffer From Limp Lever When Left Alone?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Or Not?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

RocketEd

Supercharged
Ride
'10 Roadie
Has anybody came up with a permanent solution to the spongey front brake lever on the Rockets?? I've bled mine several times using both the MityVac and the old tried and true method and it only works for a short time. If the bike sits for any length of time, the lever pulls right back to the grip and takes several pumps to get a firm lever. Frankly I'm getting tired of this bull****. Pads are fine, no fluid leaks.
When I was over at the shop yesterday getting my 3rd speedo installed (and will need #4, but that's another story) I walked down a line of Victorys and Triumphs and all of them had firm levers except, you guessed it, the Rocket demo.
My 5 year old Victory also has Brembo brakes and they've always been exemplarary, so I don't know what the Rocket issue is.
Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
If as many Captains are affected by this as I think are, that's good to know too when talking to the dealer.
Thanks.

I've got the same problem with my front brakes on the RIII, it seems to be something that has evolved over time because it wasn't that way when I brought it home :?

What i do is when the bikes left in the garage for a while is cut a bit of inner tube so its like a big rubber band slip it over the brake lever and handlebar so that the brake is squeezed on.I leave it like this when ever i dont ride it.This seems to force the air out of the system and alas no spongey brake. :wink:

It's actually not air causing it.

And you'll find over time, that trick works less and less. It was mentioned here that it is sytemic due to a problem with the pistons, which gradually back off within the calipers...

By "pinning" the brake lever you are forcing the pistons out to their normal full out position...which recesses again over time.

Mine wasn't right from the start, and I'm pissed I didn't stay on 'em about it because now it's getting worse.
I do the same thing, wing', but now it's taking more pumps to get anything even close to a good lever. Then when I stop for lunch or whatever I have to do the same thing all over again. Hmm, stop for lunch, forget to pump brakes before entering traffic... Bull****, I say.

Didn't someone earlier write something about lubing the pistons??

MiamiDave said:
It's actually not air causing it.

And you'll find over time, that trick works less and less. It was mentioned here that it is sytemic due to a problem with the pistons, which gradually back off within the calipers...

By "pinning" the brake lever you are forcing the pistons out to their normal full out position...which recesses again over time.
Is there any remedy for this problem besides rebuilding the front brakes?

Back