Speedometer has died

britman

Nitrous
Ride
2005 Rocket 3/2014 Moto Guzzi Touring
The speedo on my 2005 Rocket died today on the way to work. The mileage indicator window is becoming very dim and the needle does not move at all. I have also lost the sweep feature when the key is turned on, but the tach will sweep after the engine starts. I have researched the prior threads here, in particular what Rocket Scientist went through trying to fix the exact same problem which he cured with a new gauge. I have checked all of the fuses, relays, and connections and find no issues, other than the problem has triggered the check engine light. I have not had a reader plugged in yet, I do not own one and I am sure the 18 year old kid down at Advance Auto parts will be a true wizard at diagnostics. I don't mean to be sarcastic and will get the code pulled up. I have priced a new speedo, (gauge only), through Baxter Cycle at $368.00, not cheap, but better than I thought. Before I pull the pin on my hard earned mad money cash, can anyone maybe point out something simple I may have overlooked or give me any other suggestions. Thanks in advance one and all.....

George

I had the exact same symptoms. The cure... Was a new speedometer. Came from England. Took 5 weeks. Guess they don't have airplanes yet.

I have experienced a similar issue with my speedo on my 08 Tourer. The needle locks up when the housing gets hot, very hot. When the sun isn’t beating down on the tank it’s fine. Really weird.

Can the gauge be taken apart and internals examined? After your new gauge is up and running maybe you could entertain and educate us, especially those like me with old Rockets, with an autopsy of your old gauge.....? Lots of pictures would be nice, the kind of bike **** I like. :)

Well I have a 2005 Rocket with 0 miles on it. The gauges sweep again but I didn't get a chance to test ride so it will be going out in the am. I still have an issue when the key is turned the lights come on, but there is a space of time the starter button is dead. Finally it will cycle and everything is fine. It tends to do this after the bike sits for a few days. I also still have a check engine light on. I am leaning toward a faulty starter relay so that is on my ever growing list of things that need addressing. Just a couple of quick tips concerning the speedo install. The threads have changed since 2005 on the outer shell and base plate mounting points, they have gone from twist groove (similar to a wood screw) to machine screws. I was able to find a couple of replacements in my cache, look to be m4's with fine thread, that is a guess from a tired half blind old man. Be very careful removing the mileage reset knob, it is a very small phillips head screw and the head could be stripped very easily. RockOn I have old speedo laying on the bench and it appears to be a sealed unit where you would have to pry the outer chrome rim to get inside. I will throw some shots later.....

Well I have a 2005 Rocket with 0 miles on it. The gauges sweep again but I didn't get a chance to test ride so it will be going out in the am. I still have an issue when the key is turned the lights come on, but there is a space of time the starter button is dead. Finally it will cycle and everything is fine. It tends to do this after the bike sits for a few days. I also still have a check engine light on. I am leaning toward a faulty starter relay so that is on my ever growing list of things that need addressing. Just a couple of quick tips concerning the speedo install. The threads have changed since 2005 on the outer shell and base plate mounting points, they have gone from twist groove (similar to a wood screw) to machine screws. I was able to find a couple of replacements in my cache, look to be m4's with fine thread, that is a guess from a tired half blind old man. Be very careful removing the mileage reset knob, it is a very small phillips head screw and the head could be stripped very easily. RockOn I have old speedo laying on the bench and it appears to be a sealed unit where you would have to pry the outer chrome rim to get inside. I will throw some shots later.....
Hoping you find a way to remove the chrome rim without damaging anything. Maybe it will unscrew if you can get a grip on it with a rubberized material of some sort or maybe the rim snaps into a groove inside the shell and can be pulled apart without prying. Good luck with it. Thanks.

Back