Speedometer and Tach Die at the same time.....Thanks Lucas.....

one-auburn-fan

.020 Over
Ok guys, need expert advice. Both instruments died after a ride. My dad also has a R3S and we plugged his gauges into my harness directly into the back of the gauges to eliminate anything with the harness. His gauges worked normally on my bike and make me think that my gauges are toast. The only thing that works on my gauges is the illumination on the tach. No other life on the gauges. Bike runs fine. I have a difficult time thinking that both gauges are DOA and need to be replaced.

Ideas anyone? If no ideas, anyone got gauges or know where I can send mine for repair?

Repair is UBER EXPENSIVE.

I understand you swapped good, but ...

try swap all fuses with new.

Something odd, but I had a similar malfunction and swapped what appeared to be good fuses and it fixed the function.
Fuses are a cheap try.

I would say that if the actual gauges are ok, that the harness (from the plug to the gauges) is the problem. If you can remove the plastic cover you should check each wire for weak spots (areas that bend easy) that will indicate a broken wire. The wires in this part of the bike are prone to breaking from flexing constantly with steering and maintenance procedures.

I like both ideas. I for one clean all my fuses once a year with a rubberised diamond stick. I just buff all the corrsion off them. That being said it does sound like a main power function so cheking as Goth stated would be a good cheap idea. It could be the connection plug that is attached to the gauges which you eliminated when you plugge your dads in.

Try disconnecting the positive cable from the battery and reconnecting. This worked for me when I had a similar problem however it was after I had been working on the bike and had disconnected the battery. Did you try your gauges on your dads bike?

There are three different fuses that interact with the guages.

I also like the disconnect battery and "reset" the brain.

I notice a commonality here, the suggestions all lead to corrosion on a connection going back to the fuses. If you have contact cleaner, spray that into your harness connections, clean your fuse terminals and check there aren't any loose wires inside the gauge assembly.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Tried the suggestions offered before I posted. All fuses verified, the harness has been tested. Dielectric grease on all the plugs. No corrosion noted during inspection. It all points to my gauges being fried. My fathers gauges lit up immediately and correctly when I plugged my plugs into the back of his gauges while on my bike. I have tried to plug my gauges in one at a time to try and confirm if one is shorted or something and causing the other not to work. Any way I go, my gauges are dead except for the bezel light on the tach. this is all that will work on my gauges, though my father's gauges worked perfectly when plugged in. I can't get past the unliklihood of both failing at the same time unless a jolt was sent to both at the same time.

Looks like I need repair of my gauges, find a pair of used ones or go Dakota Digital. Any ideas out there on repair?

Back