Speedo dead after washing

zenbiker

Zenbiker
Ride
2021 R3 GT
Every time I wash my 2007 R3 Classic, the speedo fails. After an hour or so in the sun it works again. Obviously something is getting wet but I just cannot find the place. All wiring seems intact. This happens even when I cover the speedo with Saran wrap.
Any ideas?

I believe the books says to cover such electrical stuff with plastic bags before washing. I think its just the heavy spray forcing into the speedo.
or you need to check the gasket at the top to make sure it is on right.

blastedbones said:
What you washing it with? pressure washer?? just use a sprinkler head on a hose pipe. Never caused any problems in 3 years.

Bones...No high pressure. Just a hose without a nozzle and avoiding the instruments.
I think this will be almost impossible to run down!
My riding buddy of 30 years has a the first year R3 and can wash the crap out of his with no problem. Mine is a 2007 Classic..not that it matters.
BTW..I've taken the speedo off and there is no water in the unit.

I've been in all sorts of rainstorms and also poured water over those instruments with a hose many times and never a problem - definitely an issue that needs resolving

or check the speed sensor at the other end. If no water getting in to the speedo unit itself, look elsewhere. You could be getting water in a crack in the wiring to the speedo sensor.

tdragger said:
or check the speed sensor at the other end. If no water getting in to the speedo unit itself, look elsewhere. You could be getting water in a crack in the wiring to the speedo sensor.

+1. The speedo isn't driven by a mechanical drum off the front wheel. You need to trace it from the wiring off the motor and seal it up. The reason it quits is grounding. The water is allowing the circuit to ground against the frame or engine. When the water evaporates the circuit ground evaporates with it.

Just ride it...it'll dry out. Then take the time to seal up the wire connections, including those under the tank. 8)

Back