Speed Sensor Curcuit Malfunction

vocaldog

VocalDog
Ride
2005 Rocket Standard
Ok. TPS and stepper motor adjustment complete. Coil leads checked. I'm getting a 'speed sensor circuit malfunction' error code from Tune ECU. Any ideas where to go from here? The bike won't start!

Ok. TPS and stepper motor adjustment complete. Coil leads checked. I'm getting a 'speed sensor circuit malfunction' error code from Tune ECU. Any ideas where to go from here? The bike won't start!
I also have the tach and speedo disconnected to dry out. Could that be causing it not to start for some strange reason?
No mate...you're f#cked :roll:

On a more serious note...have you tried clearing the code?
yup. Several times.

I also have the tach and speedo disconnected to dry out. Could that be causing it not to start for some strange reason?

yup. Several times.
Also took sensor out to make sure it was clean. Anybody know where the sensor connects on the other end so that I can check the connection?

If you got the speedo disconnected then you'll get that speed sensor error comin up ,cause the speedo is connected to the sensor

You do not need the clocks connected (on a classic*) in order for it to start.
However that is indeed source of the 'speed sensor' error message you are getting - the power to the speed sensor actually originates from the gauge.
So now gauge connected means no power to the sensor means error detected by the ECU.
But that error will not prohibit anything regards to its ability to run
*different story on a CANBUS model i.e. Roadster or Touring.

So ignore the speed sensor error for now - it will be resolved when you reconnect working speedo gauge
And has nothing to do with ability to start or run.

When you say 'won't start' - what do you mean exactly?
Won't crank or won't fire?

If it is cranking over but won't fire, you need to look to whatever you might have done with your TPS & Stepper cal.
And also look to your hoses to the MAP sensor to be sure nothing leaking there.

Last edited:
You do not need the clocks connected (on a classic*) in order for it to start.
However that is indeed source of the error message you are getting - the power to the speed sensor actually originates from the gauge.
But that error will not prohibit anything regards to its ability to run
*different story on a CANBUS model i.e. Roadster or Touring.

When you say 'won't start' - what do you mean exactly?
Won't crank or won't fire?

If it is cranking over but won't fire, you need to look to whatever you might have done with your TPS & Stepper cal.
And also look to your hoses to the MAP sensor to be sure nothing leaking there.
It cranks but won't fire. I checked the hoses and even cleaned the MAP sensor. It wouldn't start even before my TPS and stepper adjustments. The stepper control arm was kind of jammed and wouldn't return fully closed. I lubed it, set the gap to .5mm, and correctly adjusted the TPS and stepper voltages. Should I do a TPS or ISCV reset after all that?

Back