speed bump damage

Ridefree

Supercharged
Ride
2013 R3T .... 2003 Harley softail
Has anyone had an issue with hitting the bottom of their engine such as speed bumps or anything else. I recently had this happen and now I have a leaking sump plate at the rear pipe plug.I've had this happen a couple other times on different obstaclesbut never this kind of damage. The steel angle iron along the top of the speed bump to guide the gate wheel really dida number on the sump.This is no ordinary speed bump.
20160312_122152.jpeg
20160312_122238.jpeg
20160312_142503.jpg
20160312_142704.jpg

I was at a dead stop right in front of it waiting for the gate to open after punching in the code , so I was just starting to role

Been there done that....I was going so slow the front forks didn't compress going over the hump but that was still too fast apparently. I have to get my weight off the bike now whenever I go over that one

Is your motor lowered?
Are your fork seals or rear shockies puked?
Very sorry for your damage. File a damage claim with the owner.

Sometimes if you can ride over speed bumps at an angle rather than at 90degrees so the front wheel is still on the bump as the sump passes over helps, not always practical but worth a try

I've something similar I have to contend with. I usually have to put both my feet on the ground and lift all my weight off the bike otherwise the engine bottoms out.
Bummer about the damage mate.hope it's not to costly to sort out.
Wayne

Back