Speaking of Brake Pads.....

Bedifferent

Old man on a bike
Ride
2015 Rocket 3 Touring
How often have you touring riders in particular, had to replace your brake pads? I know it depends on your riding habits, but how many miles should I expect to get out of my pads? With a rear tire change coming up in in a few more thousand miles, it would be wise to have a set of pads on hand if they needed to be replaced at the time the tire is changed.

The standard answer is it depends on how you ride. Long miles on the highway or stop and go all the time. I think 20,000 miles or more should be expected.

Always keep a spare set of pads for front and rear. You will need them sometime. When you replace the ones on the bike, order some new ones to hang on the wall for next time.

I tend to use the rear brake the most just out of my old dirt bike riding habits which is not good since there's only one set back there. I've got 37k on my Lil Scooter and just changed the 2nd set. I keep the old pads in the saddlebag just in case. I remember RAA a couple of years ago at The Hub where somebody needed some and I was gonna give them the spares I had but had forgotten to put them in the saddlebag. Bummed me out. I make sure they are in there now. You don't really have to wait until a tire change to replace the pads. The Rocket has some of the easiest brake pads ever. I can change all 6 of mine in about 15 minutes.

Put my third set of rears on at 18k miles. But I don't have a tourer and I tend to be very heavy on acceleration and braking.
As for needing them with the tire change; don't let that bother you. The rear pads are a 5 minutes (less actually) change on the side of the road.

Always keep a spare set of pads for front and rear. You will need them sometime. When you replace the ones on the bike, order some new ones to hang on the wall for next time.

I second this, always keep a spare set in garage, use depends on how heavy with the brakes you are, there's not much engine braking with the motor compared to other bikes I've had/ridden and its a heavy beast too

Back