darrell

.040 Over
Hello all. Just joined today. Bought a Rocket 3 Touring last week. I ordered some amplified handlebar mount stereo speakers from J & M Motorcycle Audio. My speakers are due to arrive tomorrow. I'll need a "hot" wire to power the amps. There is a switch on the left handlebar for the Triumph accessory spot lights. I don't ever plan on installing spot lights on my bike and was wondering if it would be possible to hook my speaker amps to this switch. I assume that there is a "plug" somewhere near the headlight that is intended for the accessorry spot lights.

Any thoughts/suggestions ? Does anyone know the location of the "plug" I seek ?

Thanks. BTW....I'm lovin' this bike.:)

The plug you seek is actually a pair of plugs (one per light) and is located in the wiring harness under the gas tank. There are a few plugs attached to the wiring harness for various accessories. Each has a unique type of attachment so you don't get them mixed up. Its been a year or so since I installed my lights and I don't remember which type of connector they used. Hopefully somebody that's done it recently (or has a better memory) than I will chime in.

There are a few plugs attached to the wiring harness for various accessories. Each has a unique type of attachment so you don't get them mixed up.
I would be very interested if someone has thoughts on the most convenient place to tap 12V near the handlebars. I have not received my speakers yet (should arrive tomorrow). Not sure if they come with a on/off switch.

They more than likely do not. But I am speaking from a "Cycle Sounds" stereo system perspective (see photos in my photo album this site). Mine had an amplifier the speakers were direct wired to. I control the power to the system with my fog light switch (I usually run with the fog lights on anyway). The system comes with the plug for the Ipod (or I imagine any type of MP3 player would work) as part of the harness. The amp has a red light on it that lets you know when the amp is on and powered up. The only thing I haven't really gotten a good fix on is the power that is supplied to the IPod that I routed to the Aqua Box on the handle bars. It cuts on and off and I haven't bothered going back under the tank to see where the loose connection is. But since the IPod, and now my new Nano Ipod) has a battery I just charge it up in the house and the battery lasts more than enough for around town riding (and with the Nano...way longer than that ).

I am not familiar with the JM system set up for those speakers that you are speaking of, I would think that there must be some way to hook up a music source to it.

Good luck with it, it is nice to listen to an occasional tune while riding.
Dennis

4 dtg...till I have to start the return trip...way to short.

I control the power to the system with my fog light switch (I usually run with the fog lights on
That's exactly the switch that I'm hoping to use. I don't have foglights but assumed that the switch was pre-wired and had a hot 12V "plug" to tap into somewhere on the front of the bike. Jus registered on this site today and have already gotten a bunch of good info.
Thanks !!!!
:)

The driving or fog lights are powered by one plug on the harness. It's on the right side under the gas tank, about 25% back from the front. On mine it was tucked under the harness and it took a little while to find it. The factory harness for the light kit uses one plug that splits into two. (one for each light) Power is controlled by the switch on the bars and the key.

Let us know how it sounds.

My new Stebel air horn is arriving today. I'm going to mount it under the left cover. Can't wait to have a horn that can be heard. Meep, meep, doesn't cut it.

BTW, that plug does not have a cap or plug in it, just grease. There is another plug forward of the first, for powering a GPS unit. It has a cap on it, more accurately an oval insert. That lead is always hot.

Yup, I forgot about the piece that joins the two light plugs. At my age I need to quit trying to recount anything that I did more than about two weeks back. :confused:

I was thinking about a set WildRooster suggested that he has had great success with. Check with him about where he hooked his in. That is probably the next accessory I get. Parts I can move from one bike to the other is about all i am buying now.

Back