Mike Rocket

Rocket 3
Ride
2014 Rocket 3 Roadster
Just a thought. I am about to purchase a 2016 roadster but I am wondering how much longer will we be able to get spares for it if needed now they are not making it anymore.
ie engine and clutch parts and bearings etc.
Any thoughts on this?

Most manufacturers continue to supply parts for discontinued models for several years. When it was announced that the Victory line of motorcycles was to be discontinued, they pledged to supply parts for 10 years. Hope Triumph is as good...

I have purchased numerous parts over the last several years for my 2008 R3T. No problems yet. Triumph seems to provide better parts support for vehicles that they have discontinued than some other manufacturers (like Polaris!!!).

FYI -

Are Auto Manufacturers required under US Federal Law to provide parts ... for 10 years

"US Federal Law"
1) Warranties

Consumer products are not required to have warranties, but if one is given, it must comply with the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act
The act says that warranties must be "conspicuously designated" as either a Full Warranty or as a Limited Warranty. I believe the terms of the act mostly apply to full waranties. I note that makers tend to advertise "powertrain warranties" etc rather than "full warranties". (example)

See FTC advice for more on "Full" vs "Limited" warranties and other aspects of the act. A powertrain warranty can be either full or limited (as defined in the act).

"Parts"
A consequence is that vehicle manufacturers must be able to provide parts during the term of a warranty (if any) made at the time of sale. They need not make or stock these parts themselves.

Vehicle makers could choose not to do so, but then they would be required to provide a replacement vehicle or a full refund of the vehicle cost. In practice it is usually more cost effective for makers to procure replacement parts to effect a warranty repair.

A further consequence is therefore that replacement parts are also available to people who do not have a warranty claim.

"10 years"
It is unusual for auto warranty periods to exceed 5 years. Most are shorter. credit: Oddthinking in comment below

"Manufacturer"
The act does not mandate that manufacturers provide warranties, dealers/retailers could provide warranties, the terms of the act would then apply to those dealers/retailers not to the manufacturers.

"Auto"
The act applies to all consumer products, not just to automotive vehicles.

2) EPA
The EPA provide information on Federally required emission control warranties which says that

Manufacturers have been required by federal law to provide emission control coverage for vehicles since 1972.

But this just means that manufactureres must pay for repairs

• if the emissions control system fails to meet performance requirements within two years of sale.
  • if a defect or design flaw in the emissions control system is found within eight years of sale.
The EPA list the parts covered but do not say that replacement parts must be manufactured, provided or sold by the auto manufacturer, only that the manufacturer must pay for any necessary repair.

Conclusion
The claim is false (or at least misleading) in almost all respects. However, as is often the case, it springs from a kernel of truth. Albeit a truth which is altogether rather more mundane and unremarkable in character.

Most manufacturers continue to supply parts for discontinued models for several years. When it was announced that the Victory line of motorcycles was to be discontinued, they pledged to supply parts for 10 years. Hope Triumph is as good...

Victory closed its doors in 2017 , Three years on and most parts are unobtainable at least in the UK and all the dealers are now Indian or something else. I'm sure Triumph will be much better than that .

Back