Some Numbers on the Roadster

matty

.020 Over
Okay fellas, here goes a long post.

Firstly, I am not mechanically minded and I have never used Tuneboy. As such, some of the post may not be in the correct terminology or I may not explain it properly. I didn't even know bikes had butterflies in them. Don't bother arguing or criticising with me or about Tuneboy or what I'm doing with my bike because I don't really care.

For those that don't know Wayne, the guy who invented Tuneboy, is in possession of my Roadster at the moment doing his thing. I had never met the bloke prior to handing the bike over and had spoken over the phone to him once. All I know is that he has a massive passion for allowing the rider to experience their machine more than they do now.

I spoke with him today and he gave me some numbers that he had found out. I joted all this info down while on the phone.

Re the Roadster, it would seem Triumph have appeared to give with one hand and take with the other.

For example-:
Wayne states that the Roadster appears to have a lot more grunt than previous models but it appears Triumph have given me more power but are limiting when I can use it. The numbers will show this later in the post.

The speed limiter is set at 194km/hr as opposed to the Standard at 218, the Classic at 193 and the Touring at 184.

The claimed higher rev limit of 6500K is actually 6300K, the same as the previous model I think.

Wayne already has 4 different mapping versions from his sources for the Roadster. Interestingly he says the secondary throttles (Not sure if thats the correct terminology) back off earlier in the French and German versions.

He was also surprised at the claimed HP and Torque readings as stated in the mags based on the initial map download, without having the bike on the dyno yet. He suspects the claimed HP was achieved in 3rd gear and the Torque in 4th or 5th.

His initial downloads show that in the Roadster in 1st gear that at-:
2.5K rev/min the secondary butterflies are open only 24%
at 3.5K open 32%
at 4K 37%
at 4.5K 58%
at 5K 90%
at 5.2K 100%

2nd Gear-:
Same as 1st

3rd Gear-:
at 2.5K open 24%
3.5K 31%
4.5K 48% (10% less than the same revs in 1st and 2nd gear)
5K 64%
5.2K 100%

4th and 5th gear shocked Wayne at initially the butterflies were open up to about 4.5K at 100% then back off!

4th gear
up to 4.5K open 100%
4.8K drops to 80% open
5K drops to 58%
5.2K drops to 47%
5.5K drops to 33%
6K stays at 33%

5th gear
up to 4.6K open 100%
at 4.8K open 87%
at 5K open 64%
at 5.2K open 35%
stays at 35% from then on.

So it appears in gears 1-3 you have to be riding at 5K revs to be experiencing any of the claimed power of the Roadster and in 4th and 5th gears it drops off if you continue to accelerate. Realistically when do we ride along at 5K revs plus. Never, except for a few short moments.

Thats the info I got off Wayne over the phone after the initial map download off the bike. He was about to do a dyno run with the normal set up then chuck on the filters, do his tuning and will do the other runs tonight.

Interestingly he thought the standard model had more punch off the mark than the Roadster. I can't comment having never ridden other R3's but when you look at how much the power is restricted in 1 - 3rd gears its not surprising. Anyhow, the numbers won't lie tomorrow.

So, it appears the Roadster is a weapon, but a highly restricted weapon.
So, fellow captains, there is the info I am able to share so far, and after 3glasses of a good red I'll shortly be sharing the love.

Further info on the .com site from tomorrow.

Did you have the off-road pipes tune loaded? Sometimes those tunes are more restrictive.

Did he say anything about timing restirctions?

Thanks for the info BTW.:D

I had my doubts about their claims once I found out they were saying it was achieved with the exhaust. Betcha we've had it beat all along with just doing what we do here on the site. Wouldn't suprise me at all that after all his testing and tuning on the new Roadster, Wayne would just set it up the way he's always done on past models. Stick with the tried and true until Triumph changes more than just the exhaust and dyno tricks.

I was told there is a different map from standard loaded for the accessory silencers, so as they are definately less restrictive (as you can see straight through them) I guess that map will be richer in fuelling.
Very interesting stuff this, electronically way above my capabilities but I would like to get 100% of the beast all the time and I'll tell it what I want from it, not the other way round!

Ah ! the days of a box of carb jets and needles and seat of the pants are long gone.....

Keep us informed Matty please:);):D

Ah ! the days of a box of carb jets and needles and seat of the pants are long gone...

sometime I wonder if all that electro babble is worth the trouble we get ourselves in .
what took a few hours to fix fairly simple with carbs now takes computer , tuneboy, gipro , dobeck, pc111 pc 5, autotune, dyno , etc etc and ****load of money and we still do not know if it is really working as it should it is amazing to see so many messages on forums about the ECU,EFI. CPU,tune with so and so pipes or not with massive incomprehension being prevalent on how to make our toys just as we want them to be .
the bikes marketing crews are really laughing at us all while the stockholders are counting the extra beans.
I wonder if I could make the rocket run with carbs?? I disgress I need some suds not carbs

I was told there is a different map from standard loaded for the accessory silencers, so as they are definately less restrictive (as you can see straight through them) I guess that map will be richer in fuelling.
:D

Actually Triumph richens the mix by not adding fuel but restricting air. They keep the fueling the same but close the secondary throttle plates more than the standard exhaust tune. Which results in less power.

Ah ! the days of a box of carb jets and needles and seat of the pants are long gone...

sometime I wonder if all that electro babble is worth the trouble we get ourselves in .
what took a few hours to fix fairly simple with carbs now takes computer , tuneboy, gipro , dobeck, pc111 pc 5, autotune, dyno , etc etc and ****load of money and we still do not know if it is really working as it should it is amazing to see so many messages on forums about the ECU,EFI. CPU,tune with so and so pipes or not with massive incomprehension being prevalent on how to make our toys just as we want them to be .
the bikes marketing crews are really laughing at us all while the stockholders are counting the extra beans.
I wonder if I could make the rocket run with carbs?? I disgress I need some suds not carbs

Yeah, Triple Twin Choke Progressives

is there a ro
Yeah, Triple Twin Choke Progressives[/QUOTE
I had my doubts about their claims once I found out they were saying it was achieved with the exhaust. Betcha we've had it beat all along with just doing what we do here on the site. Wouldn't suprise me at all that after all his testing and tuning on the new Roadster, Wayne would just set it up the way he's always done on past models. Stick with the tried and true until Triumph changes more than just the exhaust and dyno tricks.
is there any one in or around the midlands who know how to make the changes ????

Back