Some Guy smashed both my bikes (insurance question)

Mongler07

Supercharged
Ride
07 R3 classic
SO a bit of a story here
Guy at night, when raining, in his truck backed into the parking spot seen here (both motorcycles were under reflective black covers) and hit the ninja and it fell over into the Rocket. The foot peg dented the ninja’s tank, and a bunch of damage to nearly ALL plastics to boot. Ninja I do not care for as much as the rocket. Front fender is smashed badly by the stupid spikes on the ninja handle bars and emblem smashed. No other damage to rocket. I pulled it out as to not rub on the tire and am still riding it around.
I had the covers on them and I noticed that something was a miss as the tail light was mashed but I thought oh no big deal, 3 weeks and a vacation later and I take them out for a ride and low and behold find it was tipped over and the guy put it back up right (hence why I did not notice) I called my insurance and did all the necessary steps... I go to move the bikes that afternoon and some guy comes running out of the apartment building saying “IM SO SORRY, IT WAS ME...."
Really nice guy... I could not be mad at him, it was an honest mistake and he made it right with his insurance. He was having nightmares all last 3 weeks about some big biker guy coming in and messing him up!

The guy’s insurance took liability and I took both bikes to Imperial motor sports in Denver CO. really great place. In the end the insurance totaled BOTH BIKES. I could have sold them the rocket for $8,080 or keep it and get a $5,600 payout for repairs. They said it was 5,300 in repairs (new fender from triumph with correct paint 8 month lead time). The ninja they totaled at a more reasonable number for a buyback of $2,800 grand or a totaled for $3,900
I took the pay out and kept both bikes as I have a good amount of maintenance and work into them. The ninja is a solid daily but looks bad, now worse. No cost to me, covered the $245 each bike for the shops time, all in all almost 9 grand payout and i have both bikes.

Q: Do you think the payout for the rocket was more than expected? It’s just a fender? How much would you say having someone repaint a used one I found on eBay for $50?

Attachments

• 20220817_102213.jpg
    20220817_102213.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 20220817_102137.jpg
    20220817_102137.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 55
SO a bit of a story here
Guy at night, when raining, in his truck backed into the parking spot seen here (both motorcycles were under reflective black covers) and hit the ninja and it fell over into the Rocket. The foot peg dented the ninja’s tank, and a bunch of damage to nearly ALL plastics to boot. Ninja I do not care for as much as the rocket. Front fender is smashed badly by the stupid spikes on the ninja handle bars and emblem smashed. No other damage to rocket. I pulled it out as to not rub on the tire and am still riding it around.
I had the covers on them and I noticed that something was a miss as the tail light was mashed but I thought oh no big deal, 3 weeks and a vacation later and I take them out for a ride and low and behold find it was tipped over and the guy put it back up right (hence why I did not notice) I called my insurance and did all the necessary steps... I go to move the bikes that afternoon and some guy comes running out of the apartment building saying “IM SO SORRY, IT WAS ME...."
Really nice guy... I could not be mad at him, it was an honest mistake and he made it right with his insurance. He was having nightmares all last 3 weeks about some big biker guy coming in and messing him up!

The guy’s insurance took liability and I took both bikes to Imperial motor sports in Denver CO. really great place. In the end the insurance totaled BOTH BIKES. I could have sold them the rocket for $8,080 or keep it and get a $5,600 payout for repairs. They said it was 5,300 in repairs (new fender from triumph with correct paint 8 month lead time). The ninja they totaled at a more reasonable number for a buyback of $2,800 grand or a totaled for $3,900
I took the pay out and kept both bikes as I have a good amount of maintenance and work into them. The ninja is a solid daily but looks bad, now worse. No cost to me, covered the $245 each bike for the shops time, all in all almost 9 grand payout and i have both bikes.

Q: Do you think the payout for the rocket was more than expected? It’s just a fender? How much would you say having someone repaint a used one I found on eBay for $50?
Your on a win win there 👌
Yes get a second hand front gaurd painted....you'll still have lots of change 👍👍👍

When my R3 got backed into, the payout was about 5800, so it seems the shop likely did a similar thing. Luckily my bike was new enough that it didn't total it.

Damaged parts included:
Front Fender
Nick on 1 fork leg
Tire got pinched and had a mark on it
1 Rotor had a little scratch on it

My repair quote to his insurance (using the triumph pricing) because "possibly damaged and a safety risk" included:
Tire
Rim
Fender
Calipers
Forks
Fork internals (not stock)
Pads
Axle
Spacers
All bolts/Nuts
8 hours of labor @ 100/hour rate

When my R3 got backed into, the payout was about 5800, so it seems the shop likely did a similar thing. Luckily my bike was new enough that it didn't total it.

Damaged parts included:
Front Fender
Nick on 1 fork leg
Tire got pinched and had a mark on it
1 Rotor had a little scratch on it

My repair quote to his insurance (using the triumph pricing) because "possibly damaged and a safety risk" included:
Tire
Rim
Fender
Calipers
Forks
Fork internals (not stock)
Pads
Axle
Spacers
All bolts/Nuts
8 hours of labor @ 100/hour rate
i think they did a similar thing, i don't actually have the quote.

this is the best outcome i've heard of in a coons age.

Mongler, I'm down here in Carbondale, Co. If you ever find yourself down these ways riding let me buy you lunch and get a little ride in!

Goodonya! Nice to see the insurance get the short end for a change.
However, if the vehicles are totaled, I reckon you now have to re-title them and carry the stigma of restored wrecks.
How it is in WA State anyway.

Goodonya! Nice to see the insurance get the short end for a change.
However, if the vehicles are totaled, I reckon you now have to re-title them and carry the stigma of restored wrecks.
How it is in WA State anyway.
Same in NZ .....most case's it's not worth doing.

Back